Ryobi SC-160 Scroll Saw Speed Control?

I have a single-speed SC-160 16" Ryobi scroll saw. I would like to add a speed control to it. So far my experiments with 2 different types of speed controls has produced the following:

1) Control from a lapidary machine: scroll saw motor runs at about 15 RPM regardless of the setting on the speed control. The motor normally turns 1725 RPM. 2) Solid-state light dimmer: Saw does nothing until the dimmer is set to about half of the control's rotation range. Then it runs at full speed as the setting is increased.

Is there something available that will give me an infinite speed range for this saw?

Gary

Reply to
grice