Rusty blades...

Hey guys, I recently inherited quite a number of woodworking tools. Unfortuneately, I forgot that I had a number of new blades (circular, table-saw, etc.) that were left in a leaky truck box. When I came across them the other day, they were soaked in their retail packaging. They appear to have mostly surface rust. I sprayed some of them with WD-40 to see if the rust would come off easily. It didn't really help. In your opinion, are the blades still good? If so, can you suggest a way to clean them up? I appreciate any info that you can provide. Thanks.

Reply to
Chillee B

Jim Behning

The Oct. issue of American Woodworker gives details on removing rust by electrolysis using an automotive battery charger. I have heard of this method for years but have never tried it. It sure wouldn't take much of an investment. RM ~

Reply to
Rob Mills

works great too....

Reply to
bridger

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:16:14 -0500, "Rob Mills" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Or

*****************************************************Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????

Reply to
Old Nick

Steel wire brush wheel on a drill or grinder.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Oven cleaner and scotch-brite. Wear some gloves and a face mask.

Reply to
Prometheus

HUH? Oven cleaner for rust?

Not that surface rust is pretty, but it won't make a bit of difference to a blade which cuts with carbide teeth as long as it's slicked up a bit. Wax and a rough cloth.

Reply to
George

Locate a good sharpening service. I bet he'll take care of the rust for no charge when he sharpens them, so they aren't just pretty, but functional too. If you find the right shop, prepare yourself not to laugh when he hands you the bill. PS - Remember to tip!

Reply to
Sam Schmenk

Some years ago, I inherited some very rusty TS blades from my Dad, I just put them in the saw and sawed several feet of scrap wood. That actually cleaned them up pretty well, and the rust had made difference to their cutting ability. It did leave rusty stains on the first couple of feet of wood.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox