Rust removal/prevention on TS

Wats wrong with my spellen? ;~) My information is just too important to waste any time proof reading and spell check. LOL

If you decide to try either of the products that I mentioned, you should put down 2 to 3 initial coats to ensure total coverage.

I have never been there but I have seen their TV ad's on numerous occasions. I remember the "dog" that walks the isles on TV.

they advertise that fact on their TV ad's I do not recall. Then again, I only remember the dog walking the isles. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Protectant" Thank you very much. LOL I think my spell checker is illiterate and I know that it cannot read my mind.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, In Houston that is kinda dry. Several weeks ago before the monsoone season started the humidity was down in the 30's and I thought I was going to dry out and blow away. ;~)

Well, it probably is a factor if you get a breeze from that direction. My house in Houston is approximately 50 miles form the Gulf of Mexico. The screen wire covering the attic vent on the south side of my house has long rusted away. The same screen on the north side of the house looks brand new.

If your shop experiences drastic temperature changes quickly you may be getting condensation from that.

Reply to
Leon

TopCote is an aerosol but TopSaver by Empire is in a pump bottle, not aerosol. You may be able to order direct.

Reply to
Leon

We've been using Top-Cote for a few years now but recently bought a bottle of the Table Top Lubricant to try. Since the TTL can be purchased in large amounts we thought it might save a little money in the long run. Following their instructions (spray on, let dry, wipe off, spray again) I don't seem to be able to get as slick a top as with TC. Am I doing something wrong or is there a special technique you like to use with the TTL?

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I have a saw in the garage here in Kansas where 60-70% humidity and

95 degree days in August are pretty common. People think I'm nuts (I might be) but I have a folded over cabinet box sitting on the saw top and I do not get rust. I discovered this by accident when I left a piece of cardboard sitting on the extension table and a part of it was hanging over the iron top. The part of the saw top where the cardboard was hanging over was smooth and shiny and the exposed part of the top had that roughness of rust that you can't quite see yet. I cleaned everything up and since then keep the cardboard just sitting there. I do use Top-Cote when working on the saw and before I put it up but I did that before using the cardboard and still got rust.

My theory (I told you I might be nuts) is that the two layers of very heavy cardboard traps the moisture before it gets to the top and it's thick enough to dry out before becoming saturated. I don't set anything on the cardboard, it just lays there.

I'm not saying this will work where you are but it's a pretty cheap and easy thing to test. BTW, the cardboard will also keep your wife from putting her coffee cup on your nice shiny saw top...

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Mike O. wrote: ...

You're obviously east of Wichita if that's "common" (other than this year, anyway). I'm on the opposite end and while temperatures are easily that, we start complaining when summer humidities approach 35-40%. :)

Basically, it's functioning like any other semi-permeable cover would -- it prevents direct air contact and condensation.

--

Reply to
dpb

No, that's what I do.

On my in use Unisaw (not the Katrina soaked unit, that is an "heirloom" so to speak), I generally have to clean it about once a quarter because of rust spots from dropped glue, sweat, or just humidity. I put a little top saver on, then use an RO sander with 30 micron (that's 30 micron, not 30 grit) paper. finish up with table top lubricant as directed. It finishes fairly slick but, with those years of sanding, not with a high gloss sheen.

I personally like to have a little resistance on feed. And that it be uniform, even across the insert. I think that is safer. I don't want to start slick and hit a rough patch or vice versa on a feed.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

thanks, Leon... I called a friend and he's coming "home" in 2 weeks, so I'll order a supply of both today and have it shipped to his house in AZ so he can bring it across the border..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

good point... All the houses here face the Sea to take advantage of the "Baja Breeze" off the water... I wouldn't have known that the salt air would travel that far... thanks!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, the SHOP does because I run the AC sometimes, but the rv carport where the TS is doesn't vary that much... maybe a high of 100f or so, and a low of 85 or

88f...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It makes sense to me, Mike.... I noticed that there was a noticeably less-rusted spot on the wing where a cutoff of 1x4 was sitting... I laid a piece of 1/2" foam board over the saw for now, but it wouldn't absorb moisture like the cardboard would..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well I had to go look it up. From NOAA for Wichita....

30 year average temps in August.... 91.6 F. 49 year average relative humidity in August.... morning 87% afternoon 62%. Believe it or not, those numbers are just about the same a Miami.

Makes for a nice summer on the job!

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.