In between projects AND Cast_Iron_Protection

I started spraying a coat of T-9 Boeshield on my cast iron tops and letting it dry (unwiped). When I am ready to use the tools I just wipe up the residue with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits.

It can sometimes be a pain in the arse, but I now my cast iron tops will be protected.

When you know you will be in between projects for a while, what, if any, precautions do you take?

(yeah, I want to keep my new saw looking shiny too!)

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Probably depends on local climate and I image the shop space itself but here in the NW a coat of Johnson paste wax keeps my cast iron tops rust free(as well as hand saws etc.)...once or twice a year I suppose for lightly used tools or when the spirit moves....basement shop with little to no heat....I just this week polished the table saw and jointer, not for rust but for improved material handling(slicker).....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Living in humid Houston I use TopCote, tried Boshield but did not like it and I got rust any way using it. I did to a surface re-do in November using Empire Top Saver. I used a 3M Scotch Brite pad under my ROS and worked the product in. The top cleaned up very nicely and I really have had no rust problems with just that treatment.

Reply to
Leon

I use wax about once a year, but in between I keep a plywood cover on my castiron TS table. I waxed the underside of the cover and I think that helps a lot. It also helps if I have to put something down quickly I dont scratch the table.

Andy

Reply to
Andy H

Thanks Andy. I am a little suprised by the lack of responses to this question. I guess most people either 'never' go in between projects very long, or they don't care about rust.

The ply wood cover is a good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Actually, the topic as been discussed to death, reincarnated and rediscussed to death a dozen times. That's probably why you didn't get many responses, most people here are sick of talking about it.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm specifically talking about LONG periods (months) of time in between. I'm not talking about day to day protection.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Your new saw was just delivered and you are thinking ahead to time between projects? I ordered the PM2000 (1792001K) and it will be delivered next week. Photos to follow. Jack

Reply to
EWCM

Well, can't say that I've ever pondered on what to do under that type of circumstance. Having a saw (and a location available for use) means that I've used it on a regular basis whenever I could. However, I did put a Rockwell contractor's saw (cast iron top) into an unheated rented storage locker for a period of five years and at the end of that time, some WD40 and steel wool were sufficient to remove the surface rust and bring the surface back to a perfectly flat, smooth usable condition.

Reply to
Upscale

Yeah. I can't get in the shop every weekend. After a project i usually have a month or two in between projects.

Congrats!

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

I too use a plywood cover it works great. Surprisingly, I've never had a rust problem. Of course I live in New Mexico and the only time we have humidity is some days in July and August. I've always expected some issue in summer but so far no problems. In winter our RH can get down into the single digits (percent). I've heard tell of toilets drying out but never seen it myself. I can say my fish tank loses 2 to 3 gallons of water per week due to low humidity. Can't say I miss the mid-west with

100 degrees and 100% RH.

I do wax my tables periodically.

D. G. Adams

Reply to
dgadams

Well then, use cosmoline.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I would be interested in prices for this stuff - best place to buy it. Hate to admit it, but the stuff is a bit pricey for me: I found this: Anyone know a better deal?

TopeCote Amazon Price: $10.55

T-9 Boeshield Amazon Price: $14.75

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

How well does that work? I haven't tried that.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

It works by repelling moisture and shielding the metal from Oxygen.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

In theory. How well does it work in a practical manner? Is better than leaving a thick coat of boshield or top coat and letting them dry (unwiped)? Have you found that it is difficult to remove or apply? Have you ever noticed any left over residue getting on your project and ruining it?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Well, if you want to keep an AK-47 rust free for 2o years, it's what you want to use..

Think of the gunk that is spread all over new tools... I went through 1/2 a roll of paper towels and several rags the other night while unpacking a new lathe..

I'd guess that if you didn't wash down your saw with solvent before each use, you'd want to avoid cosmoline..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

...and when to decide to remove the cosmoline, if there was any rust, the effort it takes to get the cosmoline off will remove the rust as well. ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Live in the desert.

So far, so good....