Router recommendations...

a used Porter Cable 690 (or equivalent) works great on mine.

(where is routerman when you need him...;-) Pat what model took over the

690? ========================================================================

The 690. Forget the reducer. PC makes an 8mm collet.

Reply to
CW

On 9/5/2012 9:11 PM, BobS wrote: ...

Well, he posted something but was pointless to the question.

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, I went back w/ a cooler head and w/o needing to have something done immediately...

Started off to remove base casting and replace w/ shop-made--turns out they used (apparently) power drivers to attach the plastic base and over-torqued the screws to the point one stripped irrevocably. It'll have to be drilled out and replaced to go any farther and not having a metric replacement on hand I put that on hold, too... :(

So, went to the modification of the manual adjusting screw replacement to the depth adjustment for use w/ the plunge feature and by careful placement and some machinations of an additional holding jig (basically a tubasix w/ a cutout for one handle an let the body rest against the side to stop rotation) and manufacturing another wrench similar to the supplied one but w/ some offset angle I managed to be able to tighten the collet.

A test joint turned out not perfect first go, but looks like will actually function as advertised in the end w/ some more practice...

One glitch I noted in the Leigh that I've not had time to investigate whether it's a user error in adjustment or whether there's a manufacturing flaw of some flashing or what is that one guide finger was just enough out of line w/ the others that the router base would bump against it and catch...it may be I didn't hold it down firmly enough when adjusting; I'll check that possibility first when go back out again of course...

I'm likely going to go the PC route as a longer term solution still, though, but I think I'll wait 'til have opportunity to hold onto one next time in Wichita or elsewhere first, though...the Hitachi despite the size wasn't as problematic in use as thought was going to be--the softstart is useful here for sure. I do like the handles and the on/off switch for it; I do not like the lack of the flat top to quickly set it down upside down while spinning and not worry about it tipping over... :(

--

Reply to
dpb