Router purchase advice

Greetings,

I have decided to buy a router and make my own baseboards. I have been researching and have narrowed my search down to a few and was wondering which would be my best option. Please give any advice negative and positive.

Bosch 1617 Combo ($299 CAN) Porter Cable 690 ($?) Freud FT1700 Freud FT2000 (PKG0026) ($499 including a very nice table CAN)

I do not do a lot of woodwork but I really would like to start getting more involved. These all seem like nice routers and I just can't make up my mind. Please help!

Cheers Dave

Reply to
david.salmon

I've got both of those and like both of them. Either is a fine "only" router if purchased as a dual base kit. I've never used the Freud routers, so I can't comment on them.

There are also some very well respected DeWalt routers in the same price range. I'm sure someone will recommend them with specific model numbers.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My money would go towards the Bosch. The PC is getting old in design and the Freud may be a great machine but I have never seen one except in catalogs and on the internet.

Reply to
Leon

I'm using 2 routers.... A dewalt 621($225 us w/guide), and a milwaulkee

2.25 fixed base (170$ use) - very happy with both. If you plan on uisng a table only, fixed base is all you need. That said, the 2 base kits are useful. On the other hand, a second router fixes that problem :)

Of even greater importance, you can build a router table for yourself for much less than you'll pay. If you want to get sophisticated it can be costly, but you will still have the advantage of a custom built table (making a big one isn't really any more expensive) I nade mine from 2x4's and MDF. If you do go the homemade route, get a good plate. I'm still experimenting with homemade plates, but the results are so-so... There's always hope, though. DAGS or e-mail me for details.

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

p.s. - no way would I buy the freud.

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

I've had bearing problems this Porter Cable model and switch problems with this Bosch model. The switch problem was a simple fix. I much prefer the Bosch and if you don't need the combo bases, you can save a little money.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Have you considered Master Craft Maximum from Canadian Tire? ok I know its not Porter Cable or Bosch or any of those big names in the industry but it has 5 years warranty (At any point within 5 years you can exchange it from the store itself, you don't need to send it to Master Craft) You can't beat that. It's 11 AMP 2HP (So plenty of power especially to the hobbyist), and I have been working some hard maple with it with no problems. It comes with fixed base and as a plunge (2 interchangeable bases) so you do not have to decide between plunge and fixed, and it's only $174.00 (if you wait for it to go on sale like what I did, you will probably pick it up for $125)

That been said, do not buy the regular Master Craft (Not the Maximum, usually with 3 years warranty). It's workmanship, materials, and power is poor compared to the Maximum Models.

Derek

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
Derek - J

I have three Boschs and have had problems with broken switches and the corrosion making them bind. Okay in hand, but I wouldn't recommend one in a table without a lift. I have one Freud that is crap. When I was making a new router table last year I was undecided between the

3.5hp Milwaukee and Triton. In the end I bought a lift for my 1617; so far I am satified with the decision.

But... what do you mean you want to make your own baseboards? Unless you have a really good reason for doing it, it isn't a great idea.

Reply to
Bewildered

I prefer several cheap routers (with different characteristics) to one good one.

Reply to
Bob Martin

For baseboards I would get a large router. And I agree with the previous poster that unless you have the money to buy a Jessem table then make your own. Forget the Freud all together. I would suggest you go to Busy Bee and get the large Triton router. Cheers, JG

Reply to
JGS

Reply to
david.salmon