Router bit suggestion?

Hello all, Trying to locate a cutter that will edge/slot in a single pass. I have found several T&G bits where the grooving cutter will actually mill the entire edge (slot and the two remaining shoulders as well) however they have a very shallow slot. I am trying to mill a finished edge and as deep a slot possible on sawn material 3/4" thick. My hopes were to avoid a second operation after sawing (edge, then slot). My hope was to track down a mandrel, two small straight cutters, and a slotting cutter (all 1/4" thick) which I could stack to produce the cutter I need. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

I think that's "too much candy for a nickle"... I doubt you can find that much for a 3/4" surface.

These folks sell more than anybody and here are their offer> Hello all,

Reply to
Pat Barber

Rumpty

I have looked at routerbits.com and the only mandrel cutters they offer are slotting bits which allow for bearings. These dont fit the bill. But thanks for the suggestion. Got any others?

Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

Not sure I follow the "nickle" part, price isnt really the issue but I was hoping for a best case scenario of a non custom bit so I could have multiples and sharpening standby's wouldnt be a problem.

Freud is by far the best option out there however they dont offer different diameter straight cutters which could be coupled with a large diameter slotter (and an appropriate mandrel and shims). This would be a great option with all the routers out now capable of swinging large diameter cutters (panel raising).

I would venture to guess a component based, stackable bit system, somewhat like shaper cutters, is on the drawing table somewhere.

Thanks for the input, Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna