Rob Cosman

Anyone have opinions about the Rob Cosman set of 4 DVDs? I'm considering them as a Chtistmas gift for a friend....assuming I can get them in time.

Third from the top at

've seen the Handcut Dovetail one and it is worth the money.

Reply to
emptyshell

I can only comment about one, Handcut Dovetails, but I highly recommend that one. I suspect the remainder are just as good. I think I might order the one on advanced dovetails . . . . . hmm

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Snip.

Yep, I got 'em all. I did a short review here:

Ed

Thanks -- as one of the responders to your post on Spaltedboard said, Rob has some unusual deviations from tradition. For example, (1) he does not create a chisel edge in the wood and (1)he does not do a dry fit because "it bruises the wood". who the heck can not do dry fits?

These two examples make me w> > Anyone have opinions about the Rob Cosman set of 4 DVDs?

Reply to
emptyshell

I also have the whole set of 4 DVDs and found them to be extremely useful and well done.

About the not doing dry fits - Rob actually explained that quite well in the video and admitted that it will take practice to get to that point. Cutting dovetails is NOT that difficult once you do it enough, so eventually it isn't that far fetched to think of not doing dry-fits. Rob simply says that the first time you fit them is when they'll fit the best which makes sense to me.

At the least the videos show some alternative approaches to techniques, and I found Rob's delivery easier to follow than some others I have, including the dovetail a drawer video by Frank Klausz.

Anyway, if you get it as a gift I'm sure the recipient will appreciate it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Yep, the other poster was right about the "no dry-fit" thing being off in left-field. But if I ever get to the skill level Cosman has, maybe I won't do a dry-fit on my dovetails either. I tried the fret-saw idea and it works great. I'm not one to listen to everything I hear as being gosphel, but the demonstrations were really good and easy to follow, which I liked. Feel free to agree or disagree, my opinion is just that.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

">SNIP

ep, the other poster was right about the "no dry-fit" thing being off in

I agree with you!

His systems work.

I know several woodworkers that don't have to dry fit their dovetails.

:-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I attended his seminar a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you Rob Cosman sure didn't do any dry fits. It was quite a surprise when he put it together, but the joint he created was amazing. Later he gave me a sample joint, and everyone who sees it is really impressed. Except for the C$600 worth of hand tools he used there was no trickery. Just fine craftsmanship explained every step of the way.

I have yet to make a dovetail joint that would have fit the first try. Maybe someday.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence