"Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:28:31 -0400, "John Grossbohlin" wrote the following:

Setting up a plane for use as a/on a shooting board, _and_ performing the work, wouldn't have taken as long to set up than his posting has so far. ;)

#51-52

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Assuming I actually had a a rip saw, bench plane, draw knife, or even a spoke shave. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Take it out to the driveway or street, concrete or asphalt. Push down, slide back and forth, 1/4" gone in about 1/2 hr. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's normal here to assume that posters have some means of reshaping wood.

If you're without, perhaps you can visit a store that has these tools on its shelves and explain that you'd like to "preserve" one them...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yes, preserve some L-N stuff for someone to pick up at a yard sale for a penny on the dollar after you're gone. "Not sure if it works or not, my father never used it."

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:49:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Yet another tragedy concerning the poor, disadvantaged Normites!

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

:

It was a good day at Dad's house.

I replaced the old cranky garbage disposer with a super quiet InSinkErator (I hate old house plumbing)

Dad's hard of hearing so I replaced the switch for the disposer with one that has a pilot light (I hate old house wiring)

I upgraded Mom's computer (SP2, IE7, new anti-virus software, etc.)

I cut down the Wisteria that had taken over the side of the garage (I love reciprocating saws)

Oh yeah, I also ripped (yes *ripped*) about 20 feet of baseboard. It turned out that I needed to take off about 1/2", not the 1/4" Dad had said. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had my old Hirsch Saw Table in the van and I was able to mount my PC circular saw to it. It's a left handed saw (I love that thing!) so I had to mount it "backwards" on the table, but I managed to get the clips to fit.

I found a piece of nice straight angle iron to use as a fence and

*carefully* ripped the baseboard to fit. The longest piece I had to do was 75", the rest I cut down to about 3' before ripping and then cut them to size with the miter saw.

All in all, it was good day. Dad's helped me out a lot over the years and it's nice to be able to do stuff for him now that he's, shall we say, slowing down a bit. (Early 80's)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions...this certainly was a lively thread!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
Steve

Good on you!

Reply to
Steve

On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:03:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Tell me about it. I installed a 3-piece faucet in a mobile home bathroom yesterday. The downpipe was 2 piece but the replacement was one. I had to bend and twist the glued ABS pipes to get it to fit. It was || close to breaking into a million pieces. Whew!

I'll bet that was a fun house to visit when he forgot.

I prefer thermonuclear weapons for Wisteria, myself.

Whatever works. Kudos.

Yeah, I know how that goes.

As catfights go.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ote:

re: ">>Dad's hard of hearing so I replaced the switch for the disposer with

">I'll bet that was a fun house to visit when he forgot."

You couldn't forget that the old Kenmore was running. Heck, the

*neighbors* couldn't forget that the old Kenmore was running. The thing sounded like that thermonuclear weapon you like to use for Wisteria.

The InSinkErator Evolution series are so quiet that even I sometimes forget that mine is on until I turn the water off.

Besides the insulation on the unit itself and the anti-vibration gaskets on the mounting bracket and drain connection, they use a rubber baffle in the drain that's designed so that the water pools and forms an additional sound barrier.

Once they chop up the food, they are really, really, quiet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

--------------------------------------- Those are the best kind of attaboys.

You get to spend them now and remember them forever.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Absolutely. It's one of the longest-lived bookmarks in my browser, and I still refer to it all the time. Patrick really should turn this site into a bona-fide book.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On Sun, 30 May 2010 07:54:40 -0500, Steve Turner wrote the following:

refer to it

A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief, and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness. -- Ann Radcliffe

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Saw the Chet Atkins special on PBS last night.

"I Still Can't Say Goodbye" will bring tears to the eye of strongest man out there:

band, who had never heard the song before, much less had heard Chet sing, had eyes glistening with tears by the end of the song.

Powerful ...

Reply to
Swingman

> The band, who had never heard the song before, much less had heard Chet

Bring tears to a glass eye ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser