Ridgid planer

Save money and buy Grizzly

Reply to
KYHighlander

DIYGUY

Reply to
Grandpa

Paid $337 for mine incl tax - nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Reply to
Grandpa

Barry,

Check out the subject line for the correct spelling of the company name. There is no "Rigid"... at last not on the side of my table saw. It's "Ridgid".

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I don't know the affect of who builds the Ridgid brand now vs a year or two ago, but Ridgid generally gets good reviews among the magazine reviews. I bought the planer based on a very positive review a little over a year ago (bought it Dec/2002). I've been extremely pleased with it. It's the only planer I've used though so I can't compare it to others. A recent mag reviewed 14" bandsaws and again the Ridgid brand did quite well if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Thanks! My spell checker fixed it. I own a Ridgid jointer.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

The _company_ did get out of making power tools. Then they *licensed* the name to Home Depot, who has the proverbial "somebody else" making tools for them, under the Ridgid name.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Ridgid _never_ made power tools (unless you count electric pipe threaders) as far as I know. First generation of HD Ridgid-branded tools were Emerson, current portable line are mostly Ryobi with a little Metabo tossed in.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

============================================= Last year Ridgid tools were manufactured by Emmerson...Roybi is the current manufacturer...and who knows what LOW bidder will get the :job" next year....

Personally I WOULD buy a Ridgid Planer... I own a trouble free DeWalt but I do like the "looks" of the Ridgid....

As for their Joiner,Bandsaw or Table Saw and especially their lathe I would pass .... I just do not see much in these machines that would cause me to open my wallet.... The Lathe would require them to pay me to take it home ...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I thought Ryobi was made by Emerson...

(not a great memory though)

Reply to
p_j

Ryobi is owned by a massive Taiwanese company called Techtronics. They own a lot of companies of questionable quality, like Homelite. Emerson used to make Sears' stuff, before it went from bad to terrible.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Ridgid Power Tools WAS a division of Emerson (as is the Ridgid plumbing tool line under a separate division). Emerson did make them exclusively for Home Depot. Emerson has stopped making Ridgid Power Tools and HD goes elsewhere.

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

I stopped by a local HD the other day and noted that they had no Ridgid hand tools in stock, probably quite carrying them altogether.

I'm rapidly running out of reasons to go to HD.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

If they sold the name, I imagine Ridge tool would no longer have the right to use it.

Nice pipe wrenches though.

Reply to
George

as far as I know, they only licensed the name for power tools. for a time you could get both ridge manufactured hand tools and emmerson manufactured ridgid branded stuff at HD. these days I'll go to pretty extreme lengths to avoid borging, so I'm thankfully not up to date on what they stock. I suspect that the lack of ridgid hand tools at HD has more to do with a price point decision than anything else. basically, the quality was too good, so they replaced it with chinese made stuff.

Reply to
Bridger

I hope they are still n=making hand tools on RIdge Rd in Elyria, Ohio.

I also hope they still have calendars.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

fredfighter states:

They're still in Elyria.

Check out:

the new calendar--$8.50.

Charlie Self "We're 269 days from the election, and that's several political lifetimes." TERRY HOLT, Bush campaign spokesman.

Charlie Self

|fredfighter states: | |>

|>I hope they are still n=making hand tools on RIdge Rd in Elyria, Ohio. |>

|>I also hope they still have calendars. |>

| |They're still in Elyria. | |Check out:

|for the new calendar--$8.50.

But do you wnat one of those in the shop with all of the whirring blades and other razor-sharp objects? [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

It appears they have made a significant editorial change to their calendar. It no longer features photos of their tools, so I guess I'll skip buying it.

Thanks anyways.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt