Request for suggestions on how to squarly attach a table top - DSC01505.jpg (0/1)

Thanks for your time!

We've got decent oak legs built that need to be attached to a table top. The top is laminated oak and maple. It's got a slight bow in two different axis, so we're going to place sand bags on it after it's temporarily secured to the legs to flatten it out. But my problem is that we're trying to hide all the fasteners, so we've chosen to peg everything together. We can't figure out how to make sure the holes we will drill in the legs will match up with the holes we drill in the table top. The legs are "L" shaped, which we pegged together using a jig. But of course the jig doesn't work for a large sheet like a table top. In addition, at the top of each leg (so it will be flush with the top) a rail connects the legs. So currently, the legs are attached to one another with the rail and form a free standing base. They are perminantly glued, and pegged together.

So as you see, we (wife and I, yes we work together) need to drill the holes in the table top and the top of the free standing base so that the top can be perminantly attached to the legs. I suppose we're open to other methods of fastening, but I prefer to use pegs and glue it. Since that's what we've done on the rest of the table.

There will be one more step, and that is we are going to edge the outside of the table top so the laminate is not visible. The edge will stick up above the table's edge the width of a sheet of glass, so that the top is protected.

I've included a picture so you can understand what the table looks like.

Also, if you feel like a comment or two on what you think about finishing. This is our first wood working project, so we don't know much, we're just knocking around and seeing what happens. My only experience is Minwax, which I used at my parents house when we framed a staircase with oak to match Mom's cabinents in the kitchen.

Thanks again! Emil

Reply to
juajuara

A tabletop should not be glued down. Wood expansion contraction will cause problems. Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

What is the to made from? If it is plywood or particleboard, you may be OK, but if it is a wood glue up, you have to allow for wood movement. That mean no solid attachments such as pegs. You later mentiohn laminate so it may be on a man made products that is stable.

The legs are "L" shaped, which we pegged together using a

I'd attach a piece horizontally along the rails so the top is resting on the rails as well as this added piece. Then drill through this piece and into the top. Attach with screws, pegs, whatever. You can use an elongated hole to allow for movement.

Pictures shold be posted on alt.binaries.oictures.woodworking This is a text based newsgroup and piture files cause problems for some of us.

So many ways to finish. Oils, shellac, latex paint. Hard to suggest not knowing your preferences. Minwax is OK, but there are better alternatives. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Drill holes in legs, put dowel centers in holes, and use them to transfer the location to the underside of the table top. Try and flatten the table top BEFORE doing this

Reply to
John

This method works for me with the added assistance of a ruler and pencil. Mark

Reply to
Mark

You will note it never appeared on most servers.

Binaries (photo's, etc) are a minor no-no in most discussion groups, and the "killed" by the server software, try posting it to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and a pointer here

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg