Replaceable Panels

I'm planning to build kitchen cabinets for our house. SWMBO said she wants the panels of the frame & panel doors to be removable so the new owners could put in something else if they want.

I have a couple ideas how this can be done but I'm concerned about the long-term viability of them. The doors to the cereal bowls & coffee get open & shut a lot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Not a very helpful suggestion, but I would ignore her request. IMHO, the changes necessary would reduce the integrity of the cabinets. No glue and removable frame parts? Cabinets are not dishwashers...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

You *OBVIOUSLY* have not met SWMBO! Ignore SWMBO? From C.S. Lewis, "Your life would be short and your death slow." (1)

I think it might be doable if done right. In standard practice the panel floats, it's not glued to the frame. People put silicon balls and other junk in the grooves to stop the rattling. The trick is to make the grooves in which the panel fits into rabbets that function as strong grooves over the long term.

-- Mark

(1) "The Horse and His Boy", Chapter VIII.

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Might have to make the doors a little beefier than normal. Say 7/8" think as opposed to the usual 3/4".

Treat the wood panels as though they were glass. Make up your frames as per your shop method, rabbet the back out for the panel, square up the corners and put in a wooden retainer. Having the frame stock thicker than normal will give you extra room to get more purchase for your nails.

Not that it is woodworking related nor of any business of anyone but you two, but why is your wife concerned over the interior decorating tastest of the next owners of that house?

If they want new panels, it would be cheaper to get whole new doors.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

Build them the same way you would if the panels were glass, i.e. use rabbets instead of slots and then hold the panels in with some trim on the back. Glass paneled doors hold up well (if the frames are built well), so why wouldn't these?

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Wow, another one pw'ed. Ask HER To build them for that, but that you're going to build them the right way.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Why on earth would anyone want to replace the panels? Isn't one panel going to look pretty much like the next one? It is the frame that gets worn and has the design.

Reply to
Toller

Flexibility. We haven't settled on a style yet. She is leaning towards "traditional" and I'm favoring "contrasts" and "utility."

For example, we use whiteboards a lot. 4 panels of the garage door have a piece of whiteboard on them, held in with brads used like glazing points. Very handy for sketching quick ideas & keeping the shop list of stuff to buy. There is a large whiteboard in the kitchen that's used for family messaging, to-do's, shopping lists, etc.

In the remodel the wallspace for the kitchen whiteboard goes away. Yet I'd like to keep the function, so I'm considering using whiteboard for the panels of the cabinet doors. With the right color wood frames and countertop I think it could look ok. SWMBO isn't so sure. Plus whiteboards in use are never completely clean from the writing and eventually become "brownboards" and need to be replaced.

And whiteboard panels may suck. I may get them all installed and decide the look is too "cheesy."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Tell SWMBO her idea is stupid. If the cabinets are of decent quality it's easier and probably cheaper for a new owner to just change out the doors and drawer fronts. Anyway, if they wants a new look they aren't going to want to keep the old frames. Now get a blanket and go sleep in the car ;>)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Seriously, Mike is right. If the next people don't like the look, they will want to change the whole door, if not the whole cabinet. Since changing out a panel is not "normal", and the new owner is unlikely to be a rec.woodworking regular, they would end up changing out the whole door or cabinet anyway.

Although conscientious, it is unrealistic to think that the next owner would actually change the panels.

-S

Reply to
Stephen M

Mike's right, if impudent.

The new owners dial 1-800-4-MY-HOME®

Ring ....

Hello, Sears cabinet refacing service, may I help you?

If SWMBO want's to make you do the next occupiers of your home a favor then make a sturdy set of cabinets with 'standard sized' doors and drawers.

Otherwise do what you want.

Reply to
Mark