Makeing panels

I've done the google thing and skimed thru some books such as the Complete Illustrated Guide to ...... looking for an answer about making panels or even tables. Is there an optimum width of boards for making panels and is this proportional to the thickness or size of the panel. How does this relate to table tops? I'm almost done my workbench, now it's time build cabinets for storing the toys/tools. As always your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Ron

Reply to
Rebel

That is a really good question. I read everything I can on woodworking and I don't ever remember this getting specifically addressed. I know that Woodsmith plans usually call for about 5 1/2 inch boards, with grain rotated on each board to help keep it flat. Using wider boards it is subject to warping and therefore not flat. I would think that as the board get's thicker, you could use a wider board. I wonder if some of the experts on this site can cite some specific guidelines on this.

George

Reply to
George

I've seen (read) a few line up on the side of "this is unnecessary" argument.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
Rebel