Repairing Kitchen Cabinets

I posted about 2 weeks ago concerning several relatively minor areas on kitchen cabinets that needed to be repaired. I expect that in several years, we will get new ones, so I don't want to redo all of the cabinets. At the time, I didn't know what kind of wood I had--now I can at least say that there is a veneer. Also, at the time the stains didn't seem to be penetrating, but miniwax special walnut, 234, did stain and is somewhat close to the finish on my cabinet in the two inch square spot I applied it at a point near a knob where the finish had worn off. However, the point where the stain meets the old finish has a dark ragged line(darker than both of the finishes) that tends to highlight the different finishes. Is there a way that I can get rid of or lesson the impact of the line between the two finishes?

Also, I have a second panel, 16" by 22" that has vertical water damage lines on about 30 percent (one big vertical strip on about 25 % of it, and another smaller strip on about 5% of it--both strips are separated by a large nondamaged section.). I talked to what appeared to be a knowledgeable person at a woodworking store, and he told me that originally (40 yrs. ago), the finish was not properly or evenly applied because the whole panel would have been equally bad if the damage was solely due to water. He also told me that if I tried to refinish the panel, he did not think that the results would be good. I was wondering if anyone has any insights on this. As I said, I just want a respectable stop-gap solution for awhile before we get new cabinets. Is there such a solution out there? Also, would refacing just the one panel (either myself or paying someone else) be a viable solution? Thanks for any help that can be given.

JD

Reply to
Decij

Any cabinet repairing solution i am tired to finding a contractor

Reply to
Diego berrondo

Use a screwdriver to tighten the screw of the knob (or hinges) from the back of the door--"Lefty-Loosey, Righty-tighty". I hope that this is what you were looking for.

Reply to
Bill

The uneven water damage may be because the water was uneven. My guess would be that it poured over the edge. Rather than pouring in an even sheet, it separated into smaller "streams" then wetted the surrounding area. Just a guess but the stain was probably applied by machine spray so I doubt it was applied unevenly. It's possible that the veneer was more porous in some areas but it wouldn't be uniform.

I don't think there is a way to match the smaller repairs now that you've stained them again. Apparently the stain has wicked into the end fibers of the veneer. End grain would take more stain so would get darker. Perhaps you can *lightly* sand the darkened edges to expose the end grain again. Then put some sanding sealer on the edges, only, using a Q-Tip or similar, and retry your stain. You have little to lose, at this point.

The best alternative would be to paint the cabinets. I assume that you have no way to spray the doors. You might find someone to do it. If so, remove the doors and drawer fronts (mark them so they go back exactly the same place) and send them out to be painted. The same paint can be brushed on the frames. You should probably use an oil paint, some sort of enamel probably. If you can, use the same paint as they doors, drawers. Maybe thin it a little so it flows better to minimize brush strokes. If you can't get the exact paint, go to a PAINT STORE (not a big box store), like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, and have them match the color. Ask them what sort of pain would be best for this application. They may suggest some flow control additive.

Reply to
krw

Sorry I didn't know the homeowners hub only sent a link.

Reply to
Bill