Repair Cost on an Amana Washer

The repair guy came over and gave me an estimate of $250.00 to fix the seal and put in a new belt. That seems like a lot, but I don't know. If it really costs that much, I'll just get a new washer.

Opinions?

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

Fix it yourself. The repair man has told you what needed fixed now go online to get the parts and fix it yourself.

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Is it a stainless steel interior? if it isn't, i don't think it's worth fixing. dishwashers with a stainless interior are generally more well made. I got a used bosch for that price(250$). It's a champ, and very quiet. Matt

Reply to
mattblack

While not specifically stated, it sounded like the OP means a clothes washer.

In any case, $250 is about half, maybe more, of the purchase price of a new machine. Not counting the over the moon kind of appliance (Sub Zero, ect.) When that happens to me, it's time for a new one.

With one exception - if I know exactly what to fix and can do it and the availability and cost of parts is good, then I'll try fixing.

Reply to
George Max

RE: Subject

If repair cost is 50% of new, get new.

Unless of course, it's a built in that requires significant cost to remove and fit with new.

Then maybe you repair.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Put it in a jig and run it thru the table saw a few times. If this doesn't fix it, swing the drill press table out of the way and drill many holes in it. If it still doesn't work, take it totally apart and see if there if it is made out of any WOOD. If not, you must have posted it to the wrong group. Duh.

Reply to
sailor