Recommended finishes for (outdoor) oak threshhold?

Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an outside oak threshhold.

I am looking for a light or clear finish that will last, require minimum maintenance, and hold up well against outside weather.

Is an outdoor poly a good choice? Oil vs. water?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Minwax Helmsman (or equal spar varnish) would be my choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an outside oak threshhold.

I am looking for a light or clear finish that will last, require minimum maintenance, and hold up well against outside weather.

You had to ask.

About 3-4 coats of epoxy followed by a couiple of coats of poly or varnish that contain UV inhibitors.

When the poly wears down, sand lightly and recoat to protect the epoxy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

that contain UV inhibitors.

Spoken like true boat restorer.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

If it works for teak, it will work for oak.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

varnish that contain UV inhibitors.

Red Oak is very porous and would be a poor choice for an out door threshold. Boat builders are keenly aware of this. White Oak is better.

Reply to
wem3rd

varnish that contain UV inhibitors.

What is the epoxy for? And why 3-4 coats? If the purpose is to "plasticize" the wood, then would not a porous species such as red oak be the better choice? Would not thinned long oil spar varnish provide better penetration, flexibility and heat resistance on a dense species such as white oak? I know there are alot of epoxy formulations, it might be helpful to be more specific (system3, w.e.s.t, etc)

Reply to
chrisring

threshold. Boat builders are keenly aware > of this. White Oak is better.

Well, I must have missed a post. I looked at OP's post and saw nothing mentioning red oak. He did not.

Besides, using Lew's system you could probably use ANY kind of wood you wanted, including hard pine. Besides, how do you know the threshold isn't permanently installed at this time, making the change of wood out of the question?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A threshold is going to get walked on, regularly. Spar varnish isn't going to hold up very long in that service.

Reply to
J. Clarke

threshold. Boat builders are keenly aware > of this. White Oak is better.

Yes. Threshold is existing - installed by previous owner. Independent of exact wood type, I am looking for a strong hardy finish :)

Reply to
blueman

Independent

That's what I gave you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks Lew. One further question. What type of epoxy? I have some System 3, RotFix "low viscosity epoxy sealer" which is made for stabilizing rotten wood. Would that be a good choice or do I need another special epoxy.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Standard laminating resin.

Sounds like a version of "Git Rot", a very low viscosity resin.

Probably so runny it would be a total PITA for this application.

I would just use some standard laminatingn resin applied with a chip brush.

MIx up about 4 ounces at a time unless this is a VERY big threshold.

Harbor Freight sells 2" chip brushes in boxes of 12 for less than $3.00/box on sale.

Use and pitch, they are not worth trying to clean.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Where can I get "standard laminating resin"? The Borg??

Max

Reply to
Max

Not a borg item.

Anyplace that sells WEST, System 3, Raka, just to name a few suppliers.

Any place close to a West Marine?

If not, it's Google time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Roger that. No West Marine around here. (El Paso) (no water)

Max

Reply to
Max