Re: What should I order for Woodrat?

Yes, you definitely want the new aluminum guide rails. I've used the Jacobs Power Collet in a Makita 3612BR, DW621, and DW625. I don't use it all the time but there are some situations where using it allow me to use router bits I could not otherwise use. I had to cut clearance for the Jacobs PC into the router plate when using the Makita and so I have an additional plate I use with the DW625. You probably know that a revised manual is in the making??

Thanks for the details, just what I needed. I think I'm going to get > the collett extension as well, the Woodrat plate does take up some > depth. The Jacobs chuck has Woodrat's blessing but has apparently gone > out of production. There is no plunge bar available for the Bosch, it > should be available Real Soon Now. The Miter box looks super useful. > Also the aluminum guides. I'll definitely look at Phil's mortise rail. > > Craftsman Gallery appears to be the only non-factory source now in the > USA and they have a good deal so off I go. > > > > > > If you haven't already done so, you ought to check out > >
> Believe me, Phil's version of the mortise rail is a superb platform for

the

> 'rat. I also use the Veritas router table and find the 90 deg. sled very > > useful for cutting all the cope cuts for cabinet doors. If you plan on > > using dovetails for your drawer joints, you will want to order a dovetail > > bit set from: > > > >

> You will also want to practice a bit because the 'rat is very

> non-conventional in the way it cuts dovetails. Have you looked at John > > Lucas's site:
? John does an > > excellent job walking you through dovetails. > > > > If any of the above URL's doesn't load on a single line, you must use copy & > > paste to use them instead of just clicking on them. I find the 'rat is a > > great mortise/tennon cutter while a lot of other stuff is easier for me on > > the Veritas table. The 'rat is just a router table upside down, or as > > Martin Godfrey says, the router is the "right way up", with one very > > significant difference. The 'X' axis movement is controled via a Bowden > > cable system allowing controlled upcuts....a big no-no on most router > > tables. The 'Y' axis is, of course, dependent on your router's plunge > > function. I've designed a 'Z' axis control but can't find time to build a > > proto-type :>( . > > > > Good luck and enjoy your 'rat. > > > > > > > I have been happy enough with the user group history online that I > > > want to buy the Woodrat. Now I'd like help ordering the package. > > > > > > I have a Bosch 1617EVS router with D handle and plunge base also. I > > > have a small assortment of CMT bits, the basic 13 plus their Kitchen > > > set. I also have a Veritas router table setup. > > > > > > My first projects with the Woodrat will be kitchen cabinets and > > > small-item storage units, wall mounted, sized for small tools. > > > > > > What should I buy and why? > > > > > > My list looks like: > > > > > > Woodrat > > > Bits > > > Accessories > > > > > > I'm located in San Diego, California, USA. I'd like to order this > > > today or tomorrow, if possible.
Reply to
Frank Mutchler