Re: What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Thanks!
Home has never looked so good, let's put it that way.
South Carolina, North Carolina? Sorry y'all, but your highway crews SUCK at dealing with that kind of stuff.
The trip started fine, until I got to the bottom of the mountain and crossed the state line. North Carolina's snow plow was busy somewhere else. I think South Carolina was using a road grader, since they don't have a snow plow.
South Carolina doesn't own any salt either, evidently.
Bridger wrote:

Two things as far as I can tell, 1) a little "down" time, 2) gloating
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Re: What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Jan 24, 2004, 10:01pm (MST+2) From:
Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote:

Now you've proven that you not only don't understand hobbies, you're clueless about women too. Getting there is at least half the fun.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

With the right attachment you can do a shallow bowl. Only small undercuts allowed, I think.

yes- in spades. I have only dabbled in both, lathe wins for shear enjoyment, hands down. I would never consider my lathe a WASTE OF MONEY. The legacy I used- time will tell, so far, it is just a big dust catcher.
-Dan V.
You can make a bowl or platter with a legacy. And if you desire you can make a set of salad bowls all in one afternoon EXACTLY ALIKE.
The legacy makes it funner because you don't spend so much 'time' playing. Your work comes from sketched plans which has the exact bit to use. You have to guess which type of wood chisel to use and you will worry about tear out everytime you make something.
The legacy is just funner to use and is easier to use so you can finish the job.
Besides, if bowels and pens are all you want to make, you should get a mini lathe. But why spend $400 on a mini lathe when a full size lathe is $650 and you can make stair spindles. Of course why spend $650 on a full size lathe when you can spend $1000 on a true milling machine and do 10 times more.
--
Andrew=A0Barss wrote

>Joe "Woody" Woodpecker >< snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote:
Joe Woody Woodpecker demonstrated his obsession with comletion over process and lack of understanding of what a hobby is:

You want to make everything alike You want to do it as fast as possible You don't want to think about which tool to use You don't want to think about how to design the thing you're making You don't want to learn technique You want to finish the job You don't have a clue on what lathes make what items
God I pity your wife Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote:
.

Dave, we all know that "Woody" is full of ... :-)

Ayup. That would explain what comes out when he "expresses" himself...
Greg
big snips-

Ummmmm/////// Ah, okay.......
I like to play!