RE: Time Will Tell

Wow... has it gotten really slow around here or what?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My experience and his are different. What's unbelievable about that? I weight performance more than price.

Reply to
krw

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I would argue greatly with that point. Now days, there are many China batteries tat are only slightly better than a pile of dog crap, for taking a charge and releasing it. Low amp hours and short life. Some are OK, but there are some out there that are very bad. DAMHIKT.

You get what you pay for, usually.

Reply to
Morgans

wrote

Funny, I have the same story. My 30 year old and newer 25 year old Milwaukee circulars are still running strong. Nothing but cords and switches replaced. I finally greased the gear boxes a couple years ago because I felt guilty...

Reply to
Morgans

Or this looks like an unbeatable deal, lifetime warranty, Impact, drill/driver combo, 12 volt 4.0 amp Li-Ion Ridgid $99.

Leon

Reputable rebuilders that want to be around for a few years will use good material They leave the junk for the shoddy shops after a quick buck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I was playing around with one of those cheap power monitor meters I decided to check out my drill chargers (Milwaukee NiMH & Lion). Turns out they suck about 4 watts each without batteries being charged. I took an old-school timer switch and set it so it activates for 1 hour per day. This keeps the batteries charged and saves me the 184 Watts (8W *

23 hours) a day. The timer didn't register on the power meter so I assume it's maybe a Watt to power. Total savings? Close to $0.10/year!

-BR

Brewster

Brewster wrote in news:m2gd6q$v47$1 @adenine.netfront.net:

So that $10 timer pays for itself in... 100 years?

I know, though. A little flour, a little butter, a little milk and pretty soon you're talking real dough!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The pay back time is not that bad. If you are saving 184 watt hours per day, then you are saving 67.16 kilowatt hours per year. If you pay $0.12 per kilowatt hour then your savings is $8.06 per year. If you pay $0.35 per kilowatt hour then your savings is $23.51 per year. (I chose those rates since those are the numbers on the sliding scale on my electric bill.)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Nope, from the junk box so it's FREE baby!

Brewster

Not Watt hours, these are Watt/days.

Point being, having things on a timer can save some cash. My electric water heater is on a timer, basically it is set to run for an hour in the early morning, cost savings shows maybe 15% over the pre-timer days (water heating is metered separately so it's easy to verify). As pointed out however, sometimes the cost of equipment can far exceed the savings 8^)

Brewster

Power is billed by the watt-hour. The conversion is pretty simple. ;-)

Saving on the big stuff is one thing. The trivia, not so much.

Reply to
krw

A kilowatt hour is 1000 watts of power being used for 1 hour. The electric company bills for kilowatt hours used.

Your power usage for the chargers was 8 watts. Every hour you were using

8 watt hours (or 0.008 kilowatt hours). Each day you save 184 watt hours (or 0.184 kilowatt hours). So you save 0.184 kilowatt hours per day. Each year you save 365 times 0.184 kilowatt hours = 67.16 kilowatt hours per year.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Oops, yes I missed my cents/dollars error. The $10/year savings ( I pay about $0.15/kWh) will buy me a new battery when my current one dies.

-BR

Brewster