RE: This One Is For You Bill

Enjoy

Lew

Lew Hodgett

Thank you, Lew. I enjoyed it and saved it so I can watch it again! His approach of cutting a dado for the base of the A-frame is noteworthy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

---------------------------------------------------- This will get the details

Lew Hodgett

I enjoyed when we "crowd-sourced" a design a while back. I still have your ideas on the topic too. I will take what I learned from the video and "crowd-source" it a little more! If I did otherwise, and ordered the measured-plan, I think I'd be cheating myself out of a valuable opportunity to grow a little bit.

I do admit however that if I didn't believe that I could play the tune, I'd buy the tab (cheat sheet). Thank you again for providing a link to the video!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That's a pretty good instruction video. Thanks for posting.

Work table construction: On the leg attaching to the table top, Norm used 1 1/4" screws to attach the 3/4" ply legs. I would have used 1 1/2" or 1 5/

8"screws.

I like that set & release caster application, too. I may try to modify one of my tables with that.

On the clamp rack, before cutting dados for the A-frame seating, maybe firs t assemble the A-frame and place it on the plywood base. Use the A-frame f ootprint to mark where the dados will be. Unless you build the A-frame's f ootprint to exact dimensions for predetermined/precut dados, the A-frame ma y not fit into the dados.

My clamp cart is so heavy, with all the clamps on it, it is sometimes an al batross, itself. Initially, 2" casters just didn't function, for the weigh t. 3" casters are a little better. 4" would probably be best, for me. An y larger casters would/might make for placing the casters too far inside th e base's perimeter, hence possibly having top heavy problems of tilting ove r easily. My cart is 41"L X 24"W X 51"H.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

1/4" screws to attach the 3/4" ply legs. I would have used 1 1/2" or 1 5/8"screws.

my tables with that.

That really is a clever way of doing it and Normie Boy executed it quite nicely.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

---------------------------------------------------- Thank you.

NYW does a good job with their videos IMHO.

I have bought several sets of their plans but never the video portion.

Have always found the drawings to be well thought out, complete, well engineered and well worth the cost.

This project especially, for $25 you get a video and 2 sets of drawings.

Can't beat it with a stick IMHO.

When it comes to free plans or design your own plans, it's a case of false economy IMHO.

Make a mistake that wastes a sheet of plywood and it will cost more to replace it than the cost of the plans.

--------------------------------------------------------- You only have a 3/4" piece of plywood to attach the legs.

You are stuck with 1-1/4" screws which IMHO, is a weak point in the design; however, simple to resolve.

Time for some glue.

I would also add a 3/4" x 1-1/2" shear block, glued and screwed to the leg under the table to further increase the shear strength of the leg/table joint.

----------------------------------------------------- When it comes to the geometry of the assembly, I'll stick with NYW dimensions and ass'y methods.

Any bugs in the design have long ago been resolved.

------------------------------------------------- My clamp cart is so heavy, with all the clamps on it, it is sometimes an albatross, itself. Initially, 2" casters just didn't function, for the weight. 3" casters are a little better. 4" would probably be best, for me. Any larger casters would/might make for placing the casters too far inside the base's perimeter, hence possibly having top heavy problems of tilting over easily. My cart is 41"L X 24"W X 51"H.

Also like 4" casters for the ass'y table.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett