Re: talking to yourself or your tools?

I can't say that I talk to them, but for some stupid reason, a particular tune gets in my head and I'll be whistling or humming that tune for the entire duration in the shop. Irritates the hell out of me, but I can't seem to shake it. :)

Don

> > >am i the only one that talks to himself while working alone in the > >shop? > > Nope! > > My conversations are not limited to the shop, either. > > Barry
Reply to
D. J. Dorn

This is not limited to WW'ing. It also applies to Mechanics and one of the reasons I buy American. "You have to be able swear at the piece in it's native language". I don't speak Japanese, and little German or Spanish.

Kevin

Reply to
Other Brother Kevin

You MUST be objective and accurate here. . .you are a discerning and witty conversationalist. . .and as a man of superb taste in character, you truly enjoy a refreshing dialogue with such a mental giant as yourself. You KNOW where to find GOOD conversation!

Reply to
SwampBug

I talk a lot more to the "other" driver who I know can't hear me, but it gets the annoyances off my chest and I feel better.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:48:18 -0500, "D. J. Dorn" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

yea, i get that often, , , i read someplace that if you hum or sing aloud the tune "yellow submarine" from the beatles, the tune you had stuck is gone, and, yellow submarine is not supposed to stick in your head,,,it worked for me, and never stuck in my head again for long!

Traves . . .in the town,,,,where i was born,,,, *G*

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I do it all the time, not only in the shop but a lot at work. (tech for a GM dealership). Many times one of the young guys will ask "what did you say" I reply nothing I was talking to Herman. When you screw up good and nobody else to blame who else to talk to but yourself. Also talk myself through diagnosis sometimes, well many times. Mike S. snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
Mike S.

Yes, you probably are "nutz" and no, you're not the only one.

We all have internal conversations with ourselves which keep us from blurting out the first stupid thing which comes to mind (Jesse Helms perhaps being an exception). Sometimes hearing or seeing what you'e thinking is a good thing - externalizing they call it in the psycho-babble world,

If you, like most of us males, aren't a good listener though, you're missing out because wood and tools talk back. A tool prepared/set up correctly and used properly will sing or purr or hum. It'll also chatter, groan, screech or whine if it isn't. Old tools can be cantankerous but if you listen to them they can teach you a lot.

Wood, on the other hand, have (yes, wood can be singular or plural) quite a vocabulary, regional accents and a range of attitudes. For some examples go here (all one line)

If you're in your shop you're in a crowd so you're never really talking to yourself.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Sun, Jul 20, 2003, 8:04am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@farmvalleywoodworks.com (Traves=A0W.=A0Coppock) says: am i the only one that talks to himself while working alone in the shop? you know, "dummy, thats the wrong side of the damn board!" or the classic "idiot, that mortise is too big!" or am i, once again, confirming i am nutz?

Talking to yourself, that's reasonable enough, if you're the only one in the shop. How else you going to get answers to your questions?

But, let me get this part straight. You call yourself names? You can't find people willing to do that?

Yes, you definitely need help.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Reply to
Lenny

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:08:49 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT)Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

yea,,,actualy, i have scores of people waiting in line to call me names, but i like to be ahead of the crowd. . .

*G*

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Yer simply nuts, Traves.

Yer probably talkin' to yourself because you make mistakes. Sorry...I can't relate to that...'cause I never do! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Yeah, that's actually pretty well true. I can hear when I don't have my table saw set up correctly and it's scorching the wood, for example.

(Actually, I just played around today, and this thing is getting worse and worse. The blade is seriously not parallel to the slot, and the 0-degree point at which it stops and will go no further is tilted about half a degree. I guess it's time to go figure out how to realign it or else convince SWMBO that there are no user-serviceable parts inside the case and I need to buy a new table saw ASAP because I'll never be able to finish building her that trebuchet she really wants with this thing like this. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

SWMBO's OBGYN is like that, according to her he is always humming something as he's checking things out. She said the only time she got a little concerned was when she recognived the tune from the old commercial "I Wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner."

Glen

wrote

Reply to
Glen

It's just a possibility, but; with less conversation to distract you, you might secure even better concentration, and thus experience fewer of those mistakes you mention! ;O)

"Chicken & Egg" time perhaps? :)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

If I had been drinking something, I'd have whatever it was coming out my nose about now.

Reply to
Silvan

LOL! If that isn't a case of a Freudian slip, I don't know what is. It would have been priceless to see the expression on your other halfs face the moment she recognized the tune.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn