Re: Suggestions for Baby Shower?

For past baby gifts, I've turned bowls out of cherry and maple, carved a baby sized spoon out of cherry and carved a captive ring rattle.

The bowls are sized for babies, and are wide and low to make them harder for the yung'uns to knock over.

The captive ring rattle is like 3 links of a chain, with the middle link being twice as large as the outer 2.

Picture frames are good. Cradles obviously also work. If you want to put a little more work into it, a small dresser for baby clothes would be a nice gift. If you know the baby is going to be a girl, you could make her a cedar hope chest.

Just a few thoughts.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.

David, The gift that seems to make a hit among newborn's parents is a wood booster seat to sit on the chair around the table. Four pieces of wood with the one making the seat off center to give two different "lifts" for the child at the table. A belt of some type keeps the booster chair located on the adult chair. My children used the booster chair as a step stool long after its usefulness was done as a booster chair.

I used to also include a very nice paddle, but that has sadly fallen out of favor lately. With the level of parenting instruction now there is too much danger the of paddle use in anger -- not a good thing. These gifts have the advantage of being used for a very large part of the child's life.

Another thing I have given in times past is a set of wood blocks. These can be from very plain to very fancy with arches and triangles for house gables. John in South Carolina

Reply to
jheacock

tnfkajs, Do you have any pictures of the growth charts you made. I think that is an AWESOME idea!

Thanks, Cliff

Reply to
Pleasedie

I made one for each of my girls when they were born. I cut out ovals for wallet pictures to go in to show their progress. They have long since destroyed them.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

They're under-construction so, no I don't. But this was one source of inspiration:

tnfkajs

And 20 or 25 years from now, they'll kick themselves over the destruction.

Charlie Self

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child." Dan Quayle

Reply to
Charlie Self

The small step-stool I made for my wife's cousin's newborn was a big hit with all the women at the baby shower. Granted it won't get much use for awhile, but I'm sure in short time the little one will get plenty of use out of it from a seat to a step.

Check out's pics on the "Project Gallery" section of the site below.

Reply to
Brian D. LaVoie

Thanks. I have never seen those before. A great idea!

Cliff

Reply to
Pleasedie

I've hosted six showers in the last two years, seems procreation is a popular hobby among the 25-30 set.

There are some great ideas posted here. I would add the following:

  1. A wooden toolbox. My father-in-law gave each of my sons one at their first Christmas and he adds a new hand tool every Christmas.

  1. I've seen some photo/keepsake albums where the covers are figured wood. The inside is covered with material. Pages in the middle for pictures and such. (EX: Bird's eye maple pairs nicely with cream velvet or silk. Black acid free paper)

  2. A grandmother clock. My son once said that the ticking of the clock reminds him of a heart beating. Babies like white noise---helps to soothe them. I would make sure the clock has a chime shut-off. Otherwise midnight could be interesting.

Hope I've been helpful.

Regards, Jenny

Reply to
SWMBO