Noisy baby monitors

Anyone have any suggestions for making baby monitors less noisy? No, turning them off is not a good suggestion ;-> I am getting hissing and interference from the Fisher-Price monitors we are using. It changes sometimes depending on where I am sitting relative to the position of the receiver. It's driving me batty!

Thanks for any input.....

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Keep them away from anything electrical. Its picking up on interference from these items, along with cell phones, etc.

It's just the way they are made. The more expensive ones sometimes have better noise filtering.

Reply to
ephedralover

What is the hertz of the monitor? If it is 2.4 ghz and you have a cordless phone that is also 2.4ghz then thats where the noise is coming from. I have a problem with my security cameras not giving me a good picture, I figured out that my phone system also 2.4 was interfering with them. I change my phone system to 5.8 ghz, problem solved. Also,if you have wireless internet that is also 2.4ghz. You don't want to have different item trying to operate on the same frequency..

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

We returned the Highly recommended Fisher Price 2.4GHz monitor as it Picked up the WiFi Router in the house.

Not wanting to get rid of the WiFi and since they don't make a 5.8GHz baby monitor it killed me to revert back to a 900MHz unit...

We picked up this unit:

I'd love to get another. One of the features it has is VOX, so you will only hear your baby making noise, not all the lovely static and hiss that most all the others do. It waits will the Mic pick up enough noise over the normal background noise and then turns on the receiver.

We were just with a bunch of friends and one of them has a Monitor that we had to put in the other room because it was so noisy...

Scott Anyone have any suggestions for making baby monitors less noisy? No,

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Most VOX circuits are so deaf that you'll have to put the thing within a few inches of the baby. Even then you may not hear the baby's breathing.

Reply to
Bob M.

Our phone (5.8ghz) have a room monitor built in, so if I need to listen to my son (now 5) sleeping I can just leave one phone in his room and take another one around with me and listen to his every breath.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to hook a mic upto a fm transmitter then you could listen anywhere in the house. I know spy shops sell many of those items.

ephedralover

One possible cheapie solution is to put a bit of clear tape over the microphone. What you are probably hearing is the sound of ambient air hitting the electret mic - they are typically amped way up there to make them more sensitive. Tape over the hole deadens the effect of random air gusts but lets the audible sounds through.

Reply to
Eigenvector

try turning off other electronic devces in the area to attempt to pinpoint the offender asnd walk around with the receiver to do the same...

you might be able to relocate the offender...

Reply to
hallerb

If you have a noisy baby monitor, you probably bought the right thing. This are designed for noisy babies. Still, you may be able to adjust the automatic volume control on your baby. On most models, there are several adjustments in the belly button compartment.

Reply to
mm

BTW, doctors don't tell you about these adjustments, because they want you to bring it in. So they can charge for an office visit.

Reply to
mm