Re: Studfinders

I know this newsgroup is for woodworkers and this is more of a builder's

> question, but does anyone here have a preference for one electronic stud- > finder over another? One I stomped to smithereens in an unfinished closet, > another I gave to a buddy when he asked me if I had any suggestions for > an anniversary present for his wife, etc. I just want one that works!

Well, my wife did an excellent job: She found me! ;-)

She's not available.

However, the Stanley that I bought 4-5 years ago continues to work well and, if I recall correctly, had the advantage of being inexpensive.

Jim "stud" Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Sun, Aug 10, 2003, 12:15am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jim=A0Stuyck) says: However, the Stanley that I bought 4-5 years ago continues to work well and, if I recall correctly, had the advantage of being inexpensive.

Mine is considerably older, and still works just fine.

figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).

- quote from Small Gods

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 6 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

LOL! I had a B&D that went the same route. I went back to tapping on walls after it missed 6 times in a row.

-- Erniue

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

I have a bottom-of-the-line Zircon that works OK. None that I have ever used is perfect, so you really need to do a bit of back and forth work at different levels to get a truly reliable location. Sometimes they just won't locate a stud for some reason, mine gets sort of scatter-brained when the batteries get weak. They *do* work, you just have to understand what they will and will not do.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The zircon model is supposed to sense to two inches (I think, may be 1

1/2) through any non metal material I think. A trip to their site would probably solve it. I have used it numerous times through vinyl siding which would be like --> Vinyl, fan fold, old siding, tar paper, plywood or wood sheathing. It has worked fine as long as you keep it tight to the wall and not out on the tip of the vinyl profile (there is an air gap behind there).

Mark

cdg wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

Had a Zircon, worked pretty well..but now I use my Lumber wizard...hey if it's good enough to save my planer & jointer blades...then it's gotta be able to find a stud. and i got one less gizmo to keep track of.

walt q

Reply to
walt