Re: Ryobi AP1300 comments

I have been looking at the AP1300 at HD and was tempted but have changed my > mind. >

> I was at the local HD and was experimenting with the index settings which > allow you to select one of severel depth settings. This is done by moving a > lever on the side to one of several depth positions. As the head is lowered > it comes to rest on the index lever. The problem is that when you crank the > head down and it hits the preset there is a lot of slop. Rather than hitting > a nice firm stop it just gradually gets a bit more difficult to crank. It > seems that you can easily give an extra half turn or so. I thought that > maybe the unit on display was a bit off kilter so I drove accross town to > another HD. The planer on display at the 2nd store was in real bad shape. > Someone had lowered the head to a preset and just kept on cranking. > Apparently the leverage you can generate with the crank can exert more force > than the index mechanism is made to withstand. On the right hand side of the > AP1300 the index lever had bent and several of the teeth in the index comb > bent down and pressed together as well. > > I conclude that the Ryobi is just not a well made machine. Granted that it > is unlikely that you would abuse your own machine in the same manner as > above. But I wonder how repeatable the index settings could be if you can't > tell when you hit the stop. > > It has the features but I doubt it has the stamina to last for years. > > P. Jurgens > >

It's unfortunate that you were only able to base your decision on a couple of pieces of equipment that usually get mishandled by some idiots who should not be allowed to hold tools (NOT talking about you) and played with by every kid whose parents never taught them to behave while shopping. In the real world, I own one of these machines and after using the Dewalt 733 and the AP1300, I went with the AP1300 and have never looked back. Under actual use the depth stops work very well. You just lower the head until it gets firm and you stop. If you crank harder, it doesn't go any lower, just firms against the stop. The first time I used the stops, I wondered how hard I should crank, and tested the system and measured with calipers to check.

One magazine gave it not so great marks, but I suspect that after reading their further comments about the test unit, that it was damaged in shipping, They said that the cutter head lock was damaged when opened. No other review has had this kind of review of this unit. Most have been very kind to it. I find that when the tables are set, and you pay attention to your work, that snipe isvery limited. I tend to take small cuts as I get close to thickness, so snipe is even less a facter.

Sorry you were put off to a nice machine. There is still a lot of Ryobi products that I don't have a lot if faith in, but this is not one.

Dig

Sorry you wer put off to a good machine

Reply to
Digger

Considering its price is probably cheaper than all its competition, it is probably not going to be of the best quality. I personally own a 15 year old Ryobi AP-10 that cost me more in 1988 than the new AP1300 does now.

Reply to
Leon