Re: Router bit creep

I've posted a pic of the results of the creeping bit on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Ken Byerly

I had the same problem with a Craftsman router about a year ago; I believe it's just a poorly made collet that creates the problem. My solution was to replace it with two Porter Cable routers: a 691 for hand use and a 7518 to go into a table with a master lift device permanently.

The 691 came with both a fixed and plunge base and can be used with either 1/4" or 1/2" bits. I used the occasion to justify replacing my old 1/4" craftsman bits with better 1/2" bits.

My experience with these two routers has reinforced my determination to buy the best I can afford instead of just the best deal. I won't be buying much more from Sears (althouth their new table saws are getting good reviews).

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Same thing happened to my twice with my old craftsman router, same solution as others have suggested, replace with a real router.

Reply to
Eugene

A few ideas.

1 Make sure that you are not inserting the bit too far into the collet. Some bits have a slightly rounded shoulder on the shank close to the cutting portion. Installing the bit too deeply causes the collet to tighten on this small area, not enough "bite" to hold the bit.

2 Make sure the shank is clean and rust free.

3 Make sure the collet is clean and rust free and there is no wood in the collet gaps.

4 check the nut that secures the collet for rust, etc. it may not be tightening fully. Same is true for the male threaded portion.

5 a worn collet may also cause this, try a new one.

Scot

Reply to
srazor

I had it happen once on a big piece of walnut; also with a small Craftsman. Ruined a $30 piece of wood because I wanted to save a few dollars on equipment. I got rid of it and bought a Bosch. Never had a problem again.

I recommend you do the same.

Reply to
toller

You can help the issue a bit by taking smaller amounts out of the cut at a time, but the main issue is its a known problem with craftsman routers. My craftsman table saw works well too but then I haven't compared it to a better quality tool either, I'm afraid once I do the difference will be great like the difference between a sears and other router and I'll need a better saw then.

Reply to
Eugene

Thanks for the replies, all. Just an interesting thing, though. The same thing happened to me using the same bit in a 1/2 in shank router with a reducing collet. Oh well. Thanksfully the craftsman radial saw and table saw I have work well!

Reply to
Ken Byerly

Sorry to hear you say stay out of sears. I do not buy tools there, but some of their clothing I will buy for sure. And the reason I took a 180 degree attitude is what sears is doing for their employees. I know no one working for sears so that is not the reason. But I do have 3 sons -in - laws in the military and one who just retired with 20 yrs from the navy. But it was reported on the net that sears is going to make up the difference of any employee who was in the national guard and called up. Not only that but their health ins was being paid by sears till they get back to work. Now they may not have the best past record for customer service but in today's age with companies going off shore to maximize their profit and still want their backside covered sears is stepping up to the plate. And I guess the lest thing I can do Is a little shopping for products that are sold in other stores. Like same brand products .

Reply to
O D

It is not hard to make up the difference when you don't pay much to begin with. The only cases where they might actually need to pay out a lot money would be in the case of their top-end management got called up. This is based upon having been a Sears employee in the early 90's. I doubt much has changed:

- Most employees are part time. Once an employee regularly works more than 32 hours per week they are eligible for benefits. The 6 - 12 weeks of 40+ hrs before Xmas is not enough to make one fall into this bracket.

- When they can get by with minimum wage, they pay it. People that are employed by Sears for a long time do not make more than a poverty wage unless they move to management or happen to work in a commissioned sales role (tools, appliances, furniture, etc.). Even then, the top tool salesperson I knew did better as bartender (night job) than he did selling tools.

- I have seen many older and experienced employees pushed out by forced pay reductions. They were replaced by inexperienced part timers. In general, would you prefer to buy new furniture from someone on the beginning of a battle with acne or the end of a battle with baldness?

- Military pay is not that bad compared to Sears. Let's pretend that a part time dock worker at Sears makes $15/hr (extremely overpaid to make a point). So as to not have to pay benefits, this person only gets 30 hrs per week. There are 4.3 weeks per month. Sears pay is $1950 per month. Let's pretend this person is an E5 with 10 years in the reserves or national guard. According to

person would make $2339 (+ dependent allowance, hazardous duty pay, housing allowance, etc.) per month on active duty. Sears gets free publicity.

Unfortunately, I don't think poor treatment of employees at Sears is terribly unique in retail.

Mike

O D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Gerdts

So mike you are talking from experience of 10+ yrs ago? If you look I said they have a poor past experience with customer relations in the past. Well I guess you may have been an employee at those times . I said I would but something that was sold in other stores maybe I should say except wal-mart. Sears never brought this up or advertised it to my knowledge, so unless you have info to fact they did I would like to see it. For what ever reason sears IS PAYING That is more than can be said for a lot of companies. They all want to wear their patriotism on their sleeve but they sure as hell don't want to pay. It would be very nice to never hear of someone going or trying to go back to their old job told their job is no longer. I know there are laws to protect. But how many times does someone have to fight? Does not make any difference if the employee is part time or not. If his/her pay was lower the co made up the difference and the health ins. If I can buy a carhart pair of pants in sears I will. I did not say I would buy the tools. And the last point is I guess you never came into the work force inexperienced? Or had the beginning of acne? My My how perfect you must have been. No wonder sears hired you at mininum wge!

Reply to
O D

Reply to
nospambob

While its certainly possible to have a bad bit Sears routers commonly have this problem. Both bits which slipped in my sears work fine in my PC router and it was amazing at how much of a smoother cut those same bits make in the PC router. I still shop at Sears, like their wrenches, sockets, appliances, etc. I have started trying to buy from the one full time person who always helps me out (even when the other people can't find something, he will leave the register and walk back and find if for me) so I voice my concerns to him that I wish they would sell some better quality power tools, they don't have to replace the current cheap stuff they sell because there will always be people that want the cheap stuff, but that they are loosing the higher end market. I also let them know I'd buy more expensive stuff from them if their credit card department hadn't ripped me off. Since he knows me and has helped me out a few times and seems to care more than the rest I hope that he will pass my comments up the chain.

Reply to
Eugene