Re: Rehanging a door with smaller hinges

This is my problem. They say they dont make good the door frame that was

>originally cut away to accomodate the old large hinge. They have so far >fitted a few of the 19 door we have bought. Leaving a really unsightly >and awkward to deal with space around two of the nice new hinges. > >I think that they should have made good the old holes with new pieces of >wood and then cut out new holes for the new smaller hinges. if I was >doing it myself thats what I would have done. > >All opinions welcome. Ta

What does your contract specify? If it just says "hanging doors" you are getting what you paid for.

A good craftsman would fill the spaces from the old hinges, but if you did not make that part of the agreement, you are screwed.

If you bought the doors from a big box chain store, they would have no clue about craftsmanship and quality work. I'd talk to the installers and see if they are capable of doing the job right and see if you can strike a deal and pay for the extra labor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You paid top dollar to the company for new doors. I'd call them and explain what the subs are doing and request that they either include new jambs or go with larger pairs of hinges, just like the originals. Maybe split the costs if you go with new jambs.

But installing triple-hinged doors into unmodified double-hinged jambs is not doing anyone a service. I wouldn't have it. (That kind of crap in the shop, barn, or well-house might be fine, but not in the main house, no matter how old.

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sorry for your problems. They should make the jambs right. If we had been approached to do this we would have suggested matching the existing butt pockets and replaced the hinges with new. Hinge sizes are fairly consistent, so finding new replacements shouldn't be a problem even if you needed square corners. Adding the third hinge would have been your choice but wouldn't have been much trouble considering the doors have to be fitted anyway. Thinking about it, if they have the top of the hinges lined up with the top of the butt pocket it might not be anymore difficult (than patching) to enlarge the pockets on the doors (and the new one on the jamb) and get larger hinges. A little more money but it would look better than the patches. If the jambs are painted, I might go ahead with the patches. You probably need to have a conversation with the contractor or the sub (depending on who you are paying) and see if you can't come to an agreement.

Mike

Reply to
Mike O.