Re: re-gluing furniture

I have a 35 year old piece whose sides are splitting along the glue

> lines. I want to inject some glue into the cracks and clamp > it. However, I doubt if regular carpenters glue will hold because > there is already dried glue in the joint - no way to get it out. Will > polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue) work or must I go to epoxy. > > Len >

You're not going to be attaching to wood but to failed glue so it will probably fail again. No way to fit a small scraper or something in to get down to clean wood? Epoxy would be the strongest but as noted before, it's akin to building on a bad foundation.

Reply to
Sam Krenov

Go to Harbor Freight or similar place and get a set of dental picks. They can get into places that nothing else can reach. Good glue over bad glue will give you another problem (if it ever holds.) One of life's little sore spots.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I could probably get a cabinet scraper into the first 2 or 3 inches. But, what about using vinegar to disolve the old stuff and try to clean it out?

I also thought about clamping it and then screwing a board to the inside of the split panel to prevent movements. But that could aggravate the problem when the wood wants to shrink in the winter.

Len

Sam Krenov wrote:

Reply to
leonard lopez