Re: Preventing Rain From Blowing Under A Garage Door

I am posting this for a friend....he has a large shop with several

> large roll up doors. When it rains heavily and the wind is blowing > into the doors, water will enter the shop under the rubber door > seal...lots of water. > > Any suggestions as to how to prevent the water from entering? > > Thanks > > TMT >

I use a tarp folded under/over sandbags, works fine but a pain.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Woodworkers Supply used to have a threshold you could buy. Seems like it was about $75 for a single bay door size. Included a rubber threshold and a tube of silicone seal.

I still have an unopened one sitting in my shop, it's about 8 years old though. Didn't need it after I installed the french doors where the roll-up door used to be.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

A good rubber seal for the bottom of the door.

And a trench drain right in front of the door (within 6" if you can) with the concrete under the door sloped towards it. So all that wind- blown water falls in the trench drain and drains away before the door seal has to deal with it.

If you plan on moving heavy gear in and out of the door, they make trench drains with cast iron or cast steel grates that can take it.

We need to dig in a gravity drain for our front yard, and it has to go right in front of the garage door. I plan to slow down and make it a trench drain as it goes across the opening. Then all I have to do is rent a concrete profile grinder to retroactively put the drain slope on the lip of the garage slab past the door resting location...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How the grading outside the doors?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

The compression seal isn't working obviously or the door isn't being held down during windy conditions. One simple trick is to get a roll of 1/2" round backer foam from the borg and feed a length of that into the end of the compression seal on the bottom of the garage door. You may have to take off the old seal in order to get that foam backer pushed thru to the other end, then reinstall the seal. That alone makes a big difference in sealing a uneven threshold.

Then make sure the door is adjusted to specs which usually means that the door is not properly adjusted if an 82 year little lady from Pasadena can't raise and lower the door using only one hand. And it should hold it's position at any place it's stopped.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

One thing you could try is putting a drain in on the other side of the garage door. It would be a trough drain, starting at one end of the door and ending at the other. Water would then be encouraged to run in to it and out of the building somehow. It doesn't prevent the water from getting IN the garage doors, but it does prevent the water from doing much damage.

I've never tried it, I only thought of it as a solution to the same problem. The garage builders sloped the outside of the garage incorrectly so just about every rain brought flooding.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The water is following the airflow. There's a higher pressure outside the building than inside, so when the wind blows, you have pressure gradients. My wife and I were in a hotel in Dallas a few years ago, and the horizontal rain (driven by wind, of course) put a high pressure area on the windward side of the hotel, filling several rooms on that side of the hotel with up to an inch of water. We had to move to another room. My point is that you can seal it with every gadget known to man, and it will still leak, or you can try and find a way to equalize the air pressure difference in a passive way, such as vents or wall louvers.

Reply to
Carl McIver