Re: Mea Culpa

They'll probably be here soon. I cannot have gotten away with this clean. > ... snip > >

>The flames roared and the stench was at times over powering, but I >persevered and finally the deed was done, gristly though it was. >

I've always found the smell fragrant and pleasant. Does that make me a bad person? ... snip

>There must be a law that forbids a man from burning all the scraps of >cherry, walnut, oak of several flavors, pine (white and yellow), cedar and >perhaps a few species I didn't recognize. OK, a lot of it was sapwood, kept >for use in inconspicuous places. but there was SO MUCH! > > > >The shop is cleaner now, and the many buckets that used to be full of >various pieces of wood I couldn't bear to throw away that were forever being >moved from one place to another are now neatly stacked into one another. > ... snip

I feel your pain as I too shall soon have to carry out this act of mayhem in my own shop. I am running out of buckets, I can't keep them all, some of them are too small to be of practical use (but I might need a shim, or a plug ....).

I'm hoping to find someone with a chimenea to carry out this dastardly deed. But then I'm still an accomplice, aren't I?

Mark & Juanita

(Lotsa snippage)

Simple. Get a small lathe, start reading rec.crafts.woodturning and enter the madness known as 'penturning'. Then you needn't toss anything

2" x 3/4" x 3/4" or larger AND you can hang on to it with a clear conscience, since "I'm collecting it for a project".

Turning pens takes some of the sting out of cutting the corners off exotic stock so it will fit my lathe and keeps me from tossing totally beautiful pieces of curly maple that are too short and too close to the bark to make much of anything else out of.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:54:37 -0400, "Thomas Bunetta" scribbled:

Snip of stuff that's going to the humour page.

I know how you feel. I spent part of the summer cleaning out the "back corner". Seven pick-up loads to the dump (including a willow that had grown around a old door which was immovable) and two more of kindling and firewood that are going to a friend. Going through the remains of fifteen years of projects was kinda neat. My scrap pile had grown way beyond the shop. Of course, yesterday, I needed a thin piece to shim out a door hinge I was reinstalling, and I had to make it rather than just going to the back corner.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

No truer words were spoken... along with; "If you're gonna tell a lie, you'd better have a perfect memory".

I saw your humor, my friend. I guess the comment about finding the smell of burning wood (as do I) pleasing struck a chord and I thought the story had gone further astray from reality than intended. Along with the "good stuff" I burned a bunch of less pleasant things as well.

I did NOT burn 4 "pin sets" that Paully Rad, Dave P. and I got from bowling alley.

Paully built a work bench from his, and after reading his trials and tribulations getting all the hardened nails out... well let's just say my get up and go for that project got up and went ;>).

However, spread the word. Any one near me that wants to come and get one or more is welcome to them. I paid twenty bucks ea. for them, and they WOULD make for an interesting table as is (if you don't mind the glaring reminder of a bowling theme).

They're hard maple, there are 4 I think, and they weigh a TON.

In Paul Radovanichs (sp?) name I'd donate them to any takers willing to come to Englewood, Fl for them.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Blush

My scrap pile had grown way

Ya hadda go and say that, didn't you? Now I'm gonna feel even guiltier. All kidding aside, just this morning I needed a piece to act as a spacer in an uneven stack of boards with differing thicknesses. Improvisation is a challenge to the mind. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

May I dribble my thoughts among yours?

Yes indeed, and thank you.

One of these days I'm going to have to get a lathe... I have good memories from woodshop days of flying chips and great fun, but zero lathe time since. Something tells me it becomes a "slippery slope" of its own.

That man amazes me. General knowledge, his work and his written word... I'd better stop there. Just in case he reads this thread. I wouldn't want him to scrape both his ears off going out the door Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Another "slippery slope" you're suggesting, aren't you . I kept telling my self "I'd use it one day" for each of them (well except for a few "extra parts" for several projects I swear I don't know how they got mixed in) :>)

One day I will get a lathe, it's on the list. But you can't just get a lathe, it needs a whole new collection of tools and accessories (uh oh, I'm beginning to get that FEELING again... I'd better give the credit cards to my SWMBO). Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:00:36 -0400, the blithe spirit "Thomas Bunetta" clearly indicated:

--snippage--

That'd be just like Tawm to go one better than Van Gogh. ;)

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Thomas Bunetta" wrote in news:avGdnWoiE snipped-for-privacy@ewol.com:

Years ago. a friend told me that he had been given a horse, but that there are no _free_ horses, what with the care, feeding and so forth.

There are also no free lathes. DAMHIKT. The wood is cheap, however, and the mulch plentiful.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Lathes are much more 'spensive that horsies...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I did as I was told, and discovered I'm a sheepdog... and pleased to be one! I have forwarded the link to everyone on my mailing list and recommend everyone else does also! Thanks for a stupendous link to a voice of reason in a sea of chaos. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta