Re: Joining end-grain

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:15:36 GMT, "Groggy" pixelated:

I have been making a bench to hold timber that was shown in American >Woodworker #92 Feb 2002. I am very happy with its utility, but went a bit >over-the-top in selecting wood for the bench surface. I have Karri and >Jarrah; for our American brethren, this is darn fine timber, too good in >fact.

Whaddya mean the wood's too good for your American brethren? ;)

Thing is, I need a top and don't want to buy more timber. I also would >rather use the Jarrah and Karri on other projects where its true beauty will >be appreciated (by others too). So, that leaves me with the option of

Take a look at Doug's bench and see if you have the same balls, boy. Beautiful wood is beautiful any way it's used, short of painting or otherwise Minwhackin' it. I think it's beautiful. Go for it! Jarrah is easily TOUGH enough for a top. Give 'er Janka legs.

a modest, impromptu, little walnut-topped bench:

and a shimple sctool:

end-joining existing boards of Tasmanian oak which is just over 1300 Janka >(similar to American Beech, versus 2000 for Karri and 1900 for Jarrah), in a >edge-wise manner, or ripping them to make a laminated top. Either way, how >would you end joint the boards? Dowels, biscuits, simple glue joint or >something else? The boards I have are about 6"x 1" x 4', the top needs to >be 20" x 1-2" x 6' 6".

If you want to end-join 'em, mount them to a plywood backing first. Otherwise, the first time you whacked the bench, the top would cave, slicker'na greased pig on fire. As are round dog holes with cast arn holdfasts and/or Veritas Wonder Pups.

To see it, go to
then select >Miscellaneous -> "Wood storage in bench" > >The top two boards are Jarrah, the two underneath are Karri. The Tasmanian >Oak is on the top shelf to the left, you can see it is too short by about >18". > >All comments welcome.

I love the $6 worth of tools which line the fancy pegboard back, Grogs. And isn't that vise a bit precarious and unsteady when it's used in that particular position, Sport?

If you are wondering about the term "Janka", ref: >

Isn't that a brand of Aussie decaf coffee?

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:59:22 GMT, Larry Jaques Crawled out of the shop and said. . .: snip

Jummy might take offence to that one L.J.

snip

i thought that was a game with many rectangular blocks of wood built into a tower,,,then removed one by one...

*ouch*

LOML was standin behind me, and "gently" informed me that game is called "Jenga"

go figure

Traves *G*

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:41:31 -0500, Traves W. Coppock pixelated:

As well he should, the little MinHo. (Dya think that new nick will replace "Jummy" as nick?)

Judging by the description you gave, I might have called it "Yanka, the Friendly 'Murrican Game".