Re: Help Putting Chair back together

The 'right fix' depends on _how_loose_ the joint is. 'Shimming' the joint to restore tightness is a time-honored way.

If a single piece of 'grocery store brown paper bag' (assuming you can still _get_ those somewhere :), will tighten up the joint, then that's a reasonable solution, with regular wood glue. If things are open _more_ than that, you'll want something with expanding filler characteristics. micro-balloons ??

Reply to
. (Robert Bonomi

clean out and reglue the mortise and tenon joints. Some of the joints are very loose would a wood epoxy be better than regular yellow wood glue.

1) Cut a piece of veneer the size of each loose tenon 2) Hammer it on a metal surface to compress it some 3) Put glue in the mortise and on both sides of the veneer 4) Place the veneer piece on the tenon and push it in

Yellow glue will work fine.

Reply to
Joel Jacobson

Is it possible for you to cut up the tennons and reasemble the joint with a wedge to jamb up into the tennon when you glue it and assemble it? Converting the joints to (blind) wedged tennons. Be careful as you could crqadk the wood, so think about it. Another way (assuming the seat) is to drill smaller pilot holes in the bottom of the mortise holes and jamb up a dowel into the end of the tennon where you pre-drilled a hole to recieve the dowel and also a cut or two to allow the tennon to spread. Flush cut when dry. I would not fill voids with epoxy but that is just me. I think they would fatigue crack over time. If you add something, add wood. Don't add metal unless the garage sale is tomorrow.

John

Robert Rush>I have an older kitchen table chair that was loose. I took it a part to

Reply to
Eddie Munster

"Eddie Munster"

If the epoxy repair is done correctly, the wood will fail long before the epoxy.

Totally agree with your comment about metal.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A wedged tenon would be my way of going about it, Eddie, but they require a high degree of experience since you don't get a second chance. I made some expensive firewood one time before I realized there was no going back. :-)

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick