Re: Gloatus maximus! (and vintage Sears RAS question)

On 16 Jul 2003 03:56:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4)Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

So, UA100, what's my rating for the week?

donno what keiths gonna say, but i'll tell you what,,, YOU SUCK big time and hard!

GREAT score John!!

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

And if I'm not mistaken there are two 3/8"ish rods each side of the arm that the bearings bear against. If these are worn I do believe it's only a matter of flipping the worn side inward and you have a new surface for the motor carriage to ride up against.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll, we are spotting you points on the over spray, but you go and clean it up and we'll re-evaluate you at a later date. :-)

All kidding aside, let's tally.

1) It's not something you bought at Home Depot = 50 points

2) It's not something you bought anywhere = 50 points

3) Rescuing a machine from a fate worser than death = Priceless.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Who'd throw out two bikes when there are so many programs dedicated to refurb'ing these for needy children?!? Criminy - the look on the face of a child when you roll in a new bike... Makes me want to do two things: (1) punch out the people that threw these out and (2) start hanging around the dump.

Reply to
tnfkajs

John, after reading your post I checked out the Sears website on my own vintage Craftsman RAS, model 113.23100. No brake parts listed in the motor parts list, and mine takes about 12 seconds to come to a complete stop.

Your model, 29401 does indeed show brake parts of the motor assembly, and it looks as though they are still available. Go to

and type in your model number.

Jim

Reply to
lonestar1

Sounds like a neat idea, but I'm not that lucky. Mine has two grooved machined into the cast iron arm. Rather worn, but adjusting the bearings should help.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

How's this: I've got a 113.29402, so I think that in the big Craftsman Pick 8 lottery, I'm probably closest to your part number.

My motor did have a brake. I had to get the motor rebuilt after a capacitor fried - it cost me $100. The motor shop told me the parts needed for the brake weren't available anymore, but that the motor would run fine without it. It does, although the spin-down time requires extra caution. I also see motors on Ebay for sale cheap . . .

Also, as for a manual, if you call the Emerson radial arm saw recall hotline, they'll tell you there's not a retrofit guard kit available for the saw. They'll offer you $100 for the motor and carriage. Tell them "no thanks, but how about sending me a manual?". They'll send you a manual for free (although I had to make two follow-up calls).

I broke the whole thing down and cleaned it up and lubricated it. I wish I'd painted it while I had it apart, but no time, no time. The only problem with mine is that I don't have the table clamps, and my various tries at jury rigging have mostly failed. The elevation handle also "grinds" a little bit - there's an adjustment for that, but I can't quite work it out. It doesn't really affect function, just a PITA.

And finally, Sears has a bunch of parts, but many are kind of exorbitantly priced.

Congrats on the find . . . I expect yours will serve you well in the future.

-HMT

Reply to
HMT

On 17 Jul 2003 10:16:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (HMT) wrote: I

Mine was missing one table clamp, I was able to fabricate a new one by cutting up a very small c clamp and brazing a pin onto the piece with the jacking screw in it. It seems to work as well as the original. Regards, Bob

Reply to
rjs