RE: FrogTape

It took me 57 years to realize that tape had a shelf life. Old tape will dry out and be hard to get off the roll, shearing in strips, etc. If it's over a year old, I either give it away or throw it away after the second shearing. Fresh tape is much less frustrating.

As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start, trimming it off before use.

-- All of us want to do well. But if we do not do good, too, then doing well will never be enough. -- Anna Quindlen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Reply to
Just Wondering

are today, they're all hard to get off

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.

Reply to
John H. Gohde

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"

What the hell is wrong with his suggestion? The problem isn't his information, it's your inane reply.

Reply to
Dave

Give it to your worst enemy? ;-)

I don't have any trouble starting the 3M blue tape. I like it, though next time[*] I'm going to try Frog Tape.

[*] Just bought a house with crappy paint with a crappy spray job. I guess I shouldn't have expected any more from the Feds.
Reply to
krw

You're right, of course. As I recall his cv, it included an MS in Chemistry,

25 years working for two different paint companies, consultant and advisor to Home Depot. I will redouble my efforts to find his book, even if I have to buy another from the home improvement library at the box store.

I do remember him saying "The simple things in life are the most rewarding," as he nailed the kitten to the chesterfield. Or maybe it was someone else... I forget.

Reply to
HeyBub

Gohde's problem is that I once showed him he was mistaken about a health claim, and he now takes every opportunity he can to prove to me that he was not only mistaken, he is a boorish buffoon.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Unlike the other guy who was in this conversation, I'm not looking to argue with you. I honestly wanted a source for this info. One of the reasons I'm skeptical about the tape containing beeswax is because of the shortage of it due to whatever is causing the honeybee population to plummet. I can't see a company producing such a ubiquitous product using an organic ingredient with such fluctuating supply over a synthetic substitute with a much more stable supply.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 8/17/2012 1:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

Did you try MSDS? Probably won't answer the question but who knows; occasionally they're of real interest to read.

I don't know just how short beeswax is in supply; one interesting use (at least to me) is as a temporary mount for accelerometers for vibration measurement. It's amazing it will adhere and transmit frequency through than virtually any other substance found to date for a temporary mounting...as far as I know they're still using the real thing but it's been quite a while now since retired from that former life.

--

Reply to
dpb

I have used the green stuff but still prefer 3m blue which is thicker. I didn't know about the 'rubbing thing' and wouldn't have bought into it if I had. The wife brought the green stuff home (cute frog and all) after I had asked her to pick up some additional blue. I tried a roll out and told her to exchange the remaining rolls please as it seemed cheap thin crap.

When I tape, I use a putty knife and utility knife to make precise cuts in corners and joints. I then run the putty knife over the tape to insure that it adheres. The green stuff tended to ball up (like cheap blue or cheap masking tape) using this technique.

Honestly, when I got the green stuff where I wanted it, the end result was equal to the blue. I just find the better quality blue to be easier and faster to use. Since the prep work takes way more time than spreading paint I'll vote for the blue.

Wishing I could paint a straight line, John

Reply to
John