Re: Design Advice Sought

Wed, May 2, 2007, 11:42am (EDT-1) Joel ( snipped-for-privacy@weepinggorilla.com) doth boast. I've been given my own room (about 12x13) to design as I wish. Heck, I'd even be willing to buy a good informant a beer and a someone with really really good information or such a dinner (Denver area). (The dinner thing would be home-cooked - not to worry, my wife considers me a chef/gourmet cook.)

Good to hear you're old enough to have your own room now.

I don't care what your wife says, sounds like you're looking for a date.

Your room, right? That means you're a big boy now, so you're gonna have to make up your own mind on what you want in it, or don't want.

Or are you just yanking our chain?

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Sigh. I thought that my question was actually fairly simple.

Where would one start looking for design ideas on aspects of this that are related to woodworking? Or elsewhere.

I have a not-small pile of woodworking books and magazines.

I go into the detail I mention to get a flavor across that this is not a simple problem and that some design aspects of this (wood-wise) may be subtle, may be important, or what not.

Where would you go for help in figuring this sort of design problem?

Perhaps y'all would prefer to just talk about table saw blades and router bits. (somewhat sarcastic grin).

Cheers, Joel

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2 Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

I missed the OP, but I think I get the drift. Go to Amazon.com and look for books by Sarah Susanka. 'Inside the Not So Big House: Discovering the Details that Bring a Home to Life ' is a good starter. Don't buy these books; get them from the library.

While you are looking at her books, pay attention to the following sections on the listing: 'Customers who bought this item also bought', 'What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?', 'So You'd Like to...', and 'Listmania!'. Following the leads in these sections may ultimately get you t exactly what you need.

Almost forgot, read the Reviews by customers. Sometimes you get good pointers there.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Thanks for the suggestion. Not quite what I'm looking for (I do have a few books along those lines - especially related to home office and home library).

But after further perusing on the rec.woodworking list I ran across the 'myfurnituredesigner.com' link.

I'm thinking that's more of what I'm needing or looking for. Someone I could hire to help flesh out ideas that I already have. And can help produce actual woodworking plans.

If anyone has pointers toward these sorts of services I would appreciate it. Or pointers to a better list to ask this sort of question.

(And no reply needed from JT.)

Cheers, Joel

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2 Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Thu, May 3, 2007, 2:16pm (EDT-1) Joel ( snipped-for-privacy@weepinggorilla.com) doth wave bye-bye with: (And no reply needed from JT.)

Believe me, after looking at that myfurnituredesigner.com link, that is not a problem. That whatchamacallit on the home page is Oogly with a capital oo.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

I looked at the site. The gallery looks to me like some of the standard bits of furniture that come with CAD software. Before you sink money into this service, think about what he's doing for the costs listed. YOU are doing the Design and he seems to be doing nothing more than producing a clean drawing and, if you pay more, a plan. What you initially said you wanted was design advice. If you are going to do the design, you can do the plan. Particularly if you expect to do the work. If you are not going to do the work, hire a custom cabinet maker to do the whole thing.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser