re-crowning

I'm a career carpenter who made a mistake in building an exterior gate today. This is what the agte looks like in fortran:

E:\gcc_eq32>out rough opening is 36.000000 encasing is 2.5000000 finished opening is 33.500000 left_gap is 0.50000000 right_gap is 0.50000000 spar is 32.500000 middle is 31.000000 gap is 1.2500000

E:\gcc_eq32>type judy1.f90 implicit none

integer, parameter :: sp = selected_real_kind(3,7)

real (kind=sp):: rough_opening, encasing, fin_opening real (kind=sp):: left_gap, right_gap, spar real (kind=sp):: top_hinge, bottom_hinge, middle real (kind=sp):: picket_width, gap, number ! values rough_opening = 36 encasing = 2.5 left_gap = .5 right_gap = .5 top_hinge = 52 bottom_hinge = 10 picket_width = 5.5 number = 5

! calculations fin_opening = rough_opening - encasing spar = fin_opening - left_gap - right_gap middle = (top_hinge + bottom_hinge) / 2.0_sp gap = (spar - (number*picket_width))/(number-1)

! output print *, "rough opening is ", rough_opening print *, "encasing is ", encasing print *, "finished opening is ", fin_opening print *, "left_gap is ", left_gap print *, "right_gap is ", right_gap print *, "spar is ", spar print *, "middle is ", middle print *, "gap is ", gap endprogram

! gfortran -Wall -Wextra judy1.f90 -o out.exe

E:\gcc_eq32>

Not shown are the diagonal elements. When I bought them (cedar, rough hewn, 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 actual), they were slightly bowed, but now they are more so.

I figured I'd cut them such that the dado passing through the other would be on the inside, but then I went and cut them backwards. I don't want to throw another thirteen bucks at home depot when I'm already over budget for materials. So, can I re-crown this wood? This is my first attempt doing so:

for your comment and cheers,

Reply to
Uno

Uno

I'm glad you are responding to your original post.

I don't know if anyone else even knows what to say.

Reply to
RonB

If you submerged the wood until its saturated again, and then let it dry until it's the same degree of crooked as you originally had, then assemble the parts and let it dry completely, it might work... it's a gamble but as-is you've got a loss already.

Another option might be to straighten all the boards with a jointer and table saw and then build up the edges, like c*ck beading a drawer, to get back to the desired dimensions. See

if you aren't familiar with applied c*ck beads. This would take some time but the volume of materials needed is small.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin