crowning bandsaw tires

Anyone have experience crowning new tires on a 36" bandsaw? Any suggestions on how to approach this task on such a large wheel?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Think I'd try to find a rubber extrusioon with one side crowned and the other flat which could be attached to wheel.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Call Carter Guides they are experts in this field and will be able to guide you. Good Luck Mike

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

Many BS tires are long strips of rubber glued onto the wheels. They have to be shaped after being glued. IIRC I saw something about attaching a piece of sand paper onto a block of wood and clamping that block of wood so that it rubs the tire. Then you spin the wheel by hand and gradually apply more pressure to the block of wood until the desired shape is obtained.

You might be able to find something on the subject at the

site.

Reply to
Leon

on 6/15/2009 8:17 AM (ET) Leon wrote the following:

Site "Not Found"

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
d.williams

scritch

Yup, it's

Leon

I may have lucked out... but don't know for sure yet as the saw is not readily available to me for inspection. I came across a reference that said that the manufacturer of the saw in question crowned the wheels on at least some of their saws. If that is true of this saw I'm good to go. I also found references to crowning tires using a disk sander with the wheel rotated against it using an angled jig... I could use my father's Shopsmith for that purpose. Failing the former I'll call Carter before trying the later!

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Pat Barber

That's where I found the information on using a disk sander...!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin