Re: Changing Unisaw blades with 2 wrenches ?

I'm sure you will figure out how to get a wrench. But you should NOT need more than one, either to tighten or loosen the arbor nut. If your arbor nut is too tight right now, just use the clamp idea to loosen it. You should never have that problem again unless your hairy knuckled uncle borrows your saw.

In short, don't overtighten that nut. To remove the nut you should be able to stick any piece of scrap between a tooth and the table and easily break that nut loose. I use the end of my zero clearance insert, since it's already in my hand anyway. To tighten the nut, you should be able to hold a

10" blade by hand with plenty of torque to counteract your wrench hand.

I've never had an arbor nut loosen on me, and in the event of slip they are designed to slip in the tightening direction. Hence the left hand threads. Seems to me there are a bunch of guys around here so scared of their saw that they just gotta romp on that nut!

--

Does anyone make a wrench that fits on the RIGHT side of the Unisaw > arbor to make blade changing easier ? The arbor on a Unisaw has two > flat spots on the right side of the blade(for right-tilting saws) that > would be ideal to put a wrench on while also having a wrench on the > blade nut, to loosen the nut. Is there such a wrench ? > Thanks, > Tom
Reply to

Tom -

"Thin" wrenches (1/8" thick or so) are a standard mechanics tool - you should be able to find one in the size you need at any good tool store, or at worst you can get a set of Taiwanese ones for $10.00 or so. It's just a flat piece of steel shaped as an open end wrench.

Reply to
Tim Carver

Good grief, I really disagree with this. This is just a recipe for galling a good blade when you hit a knot or a tight spot. IME, not snugging your blade securely with a pair of wrenches or a block is a really bad idea.

Reply to
Tim Carver

Delta part number 955-01-050-1472

See the following diagram at:

and click the link for "Part Listings"

Knowing Delta, they likely want $89.95 for it, but hey, you never know, it might be $5 or so.....

mutt.

Reply to
Mutt

I agree with the one wrench posters. No reason to overtighten the nut. Should come free easily. Gripping blade with two fingers (saw OFF) and then loosening nut is standard procedure. Using piece of wood to wedge the tooth is alright IF you dont overtighten nut. Never had 2nd wrench.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

I don't know about the rest of you, but my Unisaw came with 2 wrenches, one for the nut and another to hold the shaft to the right of the blade.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Reply to
Pat Barber

Thanks so much to Mutt. That part number was exactly what I was looking for. Just to clarify - this is an old Unisaw I bought used, so the "inner" arbor wrench was lost a long time ago. Interestingly, I have the manual, which says to use a piece of wood to hold the blade while changing it, and the parts list doesn't show the inner arbor wrench.

Tom

Reply to
TomG

Tom Gillespie notes:

The old Unisaws did not ocme with an inner arbor wrench that I've ever seen. Neither of mine did, certainly. The lbock of wood sufficed quite well until we all got too hoity-toity to do it that way.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mine didn't come (new) with any wrenches at all. I finally cut out the most recent push stick design (Joat's?) and got to thinking in the shop yesterday that all Unisaws should be delivered with a pair of wenches...

( oops! :-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Check page 7 of the manual. In the one I downloaded the picture shows the two wrenches being included. If you didn't get them, call Delta. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed...

Well, I'd feel pretty silly calling 'em up at this point. My

34-450 was delivered 29 years ago; and I'm still using the same old combination wrench to change blades. I'm not dissatisfied.

The original (defective, non-guaranteed) wench changed blades with excessive frequency and was retired early. I did a better job choosing saws (and wrenches!)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

In that case, not only complain about the lack of wrenches, tell them the blade is about shot too. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Y'know, I still have all the blades I've ever used. I share the blades between TS and RAS (resharpening as necessary); and don't think I have over a dozen blades. I'll have to check on Monday; but I'm not sure I ever used the factory blade at all.

I've cut mostly new softwoods and hadn't given it much thought; but the wreck has got me wondering: Is this typical? It rather sounds as if other people might be replacing their blades fairly frequently...

Reply to
Morris Dovey