Re: Apprentice cabinetmaker's wages?

Anyone out there care to share what they pay their apprentices?

The one "fine furniture" making shop here in Chapel Hill, NC starts their apprentices at $8/hr.

Michael Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

I didn't realize my statement would be so taken out of meaning. I'm serious. There are alot of factors to discover. I meant what I said. Why do you think they ask "what are your salary needs?" Single vs. attached really makes a difference. I know very few singles that refuse a job just because they can get it higher somewhere else so the employer raises the price. Although increasingly not true, the single is young, inexperienced, has no attachments, no skills, may or may not have too many bills because they have no concept of money. A Single is more likely to take the lower job because he needs less and is more qualified in the lower position. I speak from experience. Because I am single, and inexperienced employers look at me differently from the older guys. I can survive on 16,000 a year (though that is not preferred) A guy with wife and kids does not. There is more to a pay package if the guy has a family because of things like insurance, (I used to pay 18 a wk. on a certain plan a guy with a family paid 25). I think my original point was to indicate that there are many factors used as decisions/bargaining chips when hiring. Even If I am unskilled in one factor I may be valuable because of past experience. I still feel Like I am digging a pit of misunderstanding.

Reply to
Young Carpenter