Re: 5 Speed Drill Press Bench Top (Brand NEW)

jeez "infoman", get a clue before spamming will ya? I can guarantee I won't be the only one informing eBay you've broken their Terms of Agreement.

5 Speed Drill Press Bench Top (Brand NEW) > This is an unbeatable deal on a great product ! The perfect tool for a > small > shop and a must have for any handyman or do-it-yourselfer. Order yours > today > while supplies last ! Also makes a great gift we can even ship it directly > to the person you would like to give one to ! > > Features: > - Voltage:120 > - Frequency: 60HZ > - Chuck Size: 1/2" > - Adjustable Depth > - Max Speed: 3,000 RPM > - 5 Speed Adjustable Setting > - Table Tilts From 0 To 45 Degree > > MSRP: $179.99 Your Price $xxxxx > > For complete details or to buy now go to : >

Greg Millen

Greg,

How does this break the terms of agreement? I don't like this stuff either, but why can't he do it from eBay's point of view? I mean if I have something large up for auction I usually put a post in a regional NG about it. Am I not supposed to do this?

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

Reply to
jtpr

Reply to
Phisherman

I suspect it was the term "while supplies last" that raised his hair. This guy is running a business from Ebay (ok) and this newsgroup (not ok - spamming).

Reply to
RonB

Short answer is no, long answer is absolutely no. Here's a link:

Greg Millen

There is some truth in this, I am more tolerant of someone who regularly participates advertising something, but a business that wanders in, spams us, and strolls away needs to learn some manners.

Reply to
Greg Millen

How is a drill press inappropriate for this newsgroup?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's not the drillpress that is the issue, it is the fact that it is a commercial advertisement that is inappropriate in a rec (recreational) newsgroup.

Reply to
Greg Millen

I should clarify my previous answer, technically, you could post it as an individual, and a lot do. If you were running a business (like the OP) then no, as it is not recreational - as the name of the newsgroup indicates.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy."

This group has no charter prohibition against personal buying and selling, and the item is woodworking related. That makes some auction links on topic, a.k.a. appropriate, so eBay can care less.

I sell personal items on eBay. More than once, I've had folks with wadded panties report me to eBay. Every time, I've referred eBay support to newsgroup charters, or the lack of one, and received an apology from eBay.

A business might be a different story, and each newsgroup is different.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

The OP _is_ a business, which is why I posted. Read my other responses.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Right.

And Steve Knight, Ed Bennett, and many others aren't?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Barry,

I agree there is some hypocrisy here (and yes, I saw the ""). Steve and the others evolved their business whilst participating in the wreck. They have encouraged and helped others as active participants - as you would know.

This "infoman" is a get-rich quick person who has not participated in the wreck at all.

ref

allow businesses to openly shill their wares is an invitation to destroy the group by flooding it with commercial, large volume advertising (spam).

Again, I agree the issue with Steve, Ed et al is hypocritical, however, they _are_ long term contributors who provide a wealth of input to discussions. Not blatant spammers like the OP.

I am happy to take any further discussion to email, as this thread is getting more advertising than it deserves.

cheers,

Greg

spam (spam) noun

An unsolicited e-mail message sent to many recipients at one time, or a news article posted simultaneously to many newsgroups. Spam is the electronic equivalent of junk mail. In most cases, the content of a spam message or article is not relevant to the topic of the newsgroup or the interests of the recipient; spam is an abuse of the Internet in order to distribute a message (usually commercial or religious) to a huge number of people at minimal cost. (MS Bookshelf '99)

Reply to
Greg Millen