Radial arm saw vs. table saw. Tools for cabinetry?

Dave W asks:

The table saw can use a blade with as aggressive a tooth angle as 22 degrees. Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or minus

5 degree or so angle.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or minus

5 degree or so angle.

Charlie,

The original Forrest WW1 blade with the TCP (triple chip profile) is a superb blade on the RAS, a true universal blade. It has a 5 deg positive angle and works well for ripping, even through 8/4 material. FWIW, this blade is only available directly from Forrest as a special order. The current WW1 blade you see advertised in an ATB profile and not good on the RAS unless you only do cross cutting.

Reply to
Rumpty

I have a Craftsman Router I bought new about 35 years ago. I like it so well I bought a used one like it and wish I had gotten a 3rd one at a garage sale. ( I don't like to change bits) The old Craftsman has a work light that I really like that the great PC I would like to have, doesn't have. I have 4 routers but reach for one of the old Craftsmans for critical work.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Just got a magazine on woodworking (and drooling at all the tools). One thing that is consistent every place I look is that RAS are not that popular and all How-To's always show table saws.

Looks like my first purchase probably needs to be some sharpening stones to work on my father's chisels and old hand planer (I know he always used files or grinder to sharpen them, so NOT in best of shape).

Maybe with upcoming tax refund (hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope) I might look at a table saw. Definately need to do something about how to hook my shop vac to RAS as one of things I dread using due to dust (garage is for other things other than wood working).

-Clayt>I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is

Reply to
Dooler

Dooler notes:

There are problems with radial arm saws that do not exist with table saws, mostly in the area of adjustments. There is also utility that doesn't exist with table saws. I'm not sure the two counterbalance, but were I you, I'd hang onto the old Craftsman RAS.

There are fewer companies manufacturing consumer level radial arm saws today than ever: Craftsman; Delta; Ridgid. I believe that's it. All the rest (about four makers) are producing pro level saws that are very pricey.

Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm going to keep it...but still can't help but drool over the high-end table saws, like a kid in a candy store.

"When it comes to Home Depot, I am worse than a woman in a shoe store"

- Clayton

----------------- My favorite commercial was a guy in the toy store walk down isle with kid. Kid keeps grabbing things off shelf and father takes them away putting them back and saying "...you can't have that...leave it alone...we got to go...". Then he stops. There on shelf is a truck (chevy? ford?) that is wrapped up like a toy. All they guy says is "....ooooooh".

-Clayton

Reply to
Dooler

Purchase yourself a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book "How To Master The Radial Saw" and you won't have to waste your money on a worthless TS.

Rumpty