Quetion about TS guard

Reply to
nospambob

Hi Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having use a RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but the guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question is: Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the TS without it always ?? Thanks in advance

Luis

Reply to
Luis

I am sure this is not the politically correct answer, but I have never used one.

Reply to
Don Vest

More important that he guard is a splitter. Cutting wood without one can result in a kickback if the wood tries to close after the blade.

You will get people that say then never use the guard, others that won't run the saw without it. I fall in between. Cutting sheet goods I don't worry about kickback as much as with solid wood. I take it off when cutting dadoes etc that cannot be done with the guard in place. I don't rush to put it back on, but if I think it will stay for a while, it gets put in place. Only take a couple of minutes, at least on my saw.

Twice I've had something hit the guard. Operator error, but it still stopped a chunk from flying. That's what counts. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

You have never used the guard or a TS ? LOL

"Don Vest" escribió en el mensaje news:c2dgc.22671$ab3.13621@fed1read02...

Reply to
Luis

In general, the guard is off my saw. There are some cases where I put it back on, especially when I'm ripping narrow pieces.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Its not a stupid question, Luis. The factory guard on the table saw is a pain the butt and causes more people to remove and abandon it. My brother-in-law, who has used tablesaws for 40 years just had a horrible accident - Delta Unisaw, no guard. After using a saw for a long time, you can become to comfortable with it. What did he do? Something really, really stupid. His mind was on a trip he was getting ready to make. As he was operating the saw, he laid his left hand on top of the blade. Is he stupid, demented, retarded or mentally ill? No. He just wasn't paying attention.

There are hundreds of commercial and shopbuilt safety solutions for the tablesaw. These take the place of the factory guard and provide higher convenience and ease of use. I've invested many hours of time and $$$ to improve my own situation. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as me and not kill yourself before you arrive at your own solutions. I bought a book on table saws which helped a lot.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I am a believer in guards and splitters. Replaced the PITA guard that came with the PM66 with an overhead Biesemeyer that also has a dust pickup attached. Much easier to use and I am less likely to remove it. For dadoes and sleds, the splitter comes out and the cover remains on. For such operations as a tenon jig, both are removed. I worked in a mill when I was in school and knew too many cowboys with eight or less fingers. I am also a believer in hold downs, feather boards, and the like. mahalo, jo4hn (whose twelve talented finger dance across the keyboard)

Reply to
jo4hn

Hmmm,

Lets do the economics.

Replace the splitter and guard 0.25 hrs @ $200/hr (ok, so you pay very well) = $25

Reattach 4 fingers @ $15,000/finger = $60,000, plus physical therapy, plus 2 - 3 years of poor motion. No reduction for failure to attach.

Your choice.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

There are more (probably the majority) people out there that are in the same situation. Never use the guard. Many will tell you that at times. At other times, they won't. It just depends on the mood of the group. It's called me-too-ism and is rampant around here.

Reply to
CW

Me too! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

:)

Reply to
CW

Take a look at

you will want to put one on whenver you can.

(Or maybe you are good at dodg> Hi

Reply to
Daniel