Question about what finish to apply to mahogany

I have laminated two pieces of mahogany (not sure what kind it is) with a piece of wenge in the middle. This has been subsequently turned into a 1

1/4" diamenter rod about 30" long. This rod will be used to hang a Japanese obi which was used for a wedding ceremony. The obi is made out of silk. Think about this as a tapestry hanger with a silk tapestry hanging over it.

OK - that was the long slow windup.......here is my question. My wood finishing book by Bob Flexner suggests finishing with a rubbing varnish. I am worried about the finish somehow getting into silk over time so I wonder if polyurethane might be a better choice. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Shellac should work fine. Tom

Reply to
tom

You can just try waxing it - it should finish nicely and should be fine w/ silk hanging on it.

Its ashame to cover that beautiful wood w/ plastic.

Reply to
Rob V

Perfect solution,

A finish made by bugs to display a fabric made by bugs.

Seriously, shellac with a topcoat of wax is my suggestion here. Paul.

Reply to
Scarfinger

Heehee, bugs! Didn't think of that! Tom

Reply to
tom

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 03:04:08 GMT, Scarfinger scribbled:

Shouldn't that be "made from bug spit"? Or should we replace the "p" with an "h"?

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

I prefer "snot" myself.

It is *sucreated* not *excreated*

Reply to
C & S

|| Shouldn't that be "made from bug spit"? Or should we replace the || "p" with an "h"? || | I prefer "snot" myself. | | It is *sucreated* not *excreated*

I'm really glad you made that distinction. :-D

Morris Dovey