Q: "Ironwood" and PING: Mac Davis

I've seen many references to "ironwood" here and in ABPW (especially by Mac Davis, I believe). A quick search on Google and Wikipedia reveals the name is used for dozens of species.

Any idea as to what species of wood is indigenous to the SW USA, Baja CA, or Hawaii and called "ironwood"?

-Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Sonny

In the Southwest, your most likely bet is probably "Desert Ironwood", Olneya Tesota.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's the Olneya tesota in the Southwestern states, dunno on Hawaii. It's beautiful as pistol grips and knife handles. Dense, dark burl.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In Hawaii, it is Casuarina sp, aka Ausralian pine. I lived there 40 years, have seen 100s-1000s of the tree, never any wood from them, rather doubt it is very dense.

dadiOH

There are a number of spiecies called "Ironwood " in Australia at least

10 I know of in my area. The one I'm familiar with (Erytrophelum chlorostachys )is hard dense dark red coloured timber ,if you want to blunt good chisels and plane quickly blades then this is the timber to work . The saw dust is extremely toxic and can cause headaches and muscle pain , just having it on your skin can also cause headaches .Good dust extraction is paramount to feeling well . Despite the obvious side effects , it's a very nice timber and is very stable has a very dark colour almost black at times. Local natives used the wood for spear and harpoon heads , digging sticks and despite it toxicity also for some medicinal uses.
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

As the others said, Desert ironwood. Only found in the Sonora dessert area, covering parts of Mexico, California and Arizona..

There are many trees/woods that are hard or heavy and were called "ironwood", but AFAIK the only "trie" ironwood is desert ironwood..

Reply to
mac