Putting a "cove" in the bottom of my chisels. How?

Mon, Sep 4, 2006, 5:36am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com doth ponder: I _might_ try this on a 2" wide slick I use for cleaning up mortices in larch timber framing. I do sometimes get trouble with resin stickiness on fresh green larch.

Hmm, at first thought I would think maybe dipping the slick in mineral oil, kerosene, recycled cooking oil, alcohol (hopefully not the drinking kind), or something might do the trick.

On the other hand, I also wonder if cutting a slot clear thru the slick would work - at the risk of ruining the slick, of course - but it is your slick, so it's not my risk. LOL

Might want to consider making one, or a few, for test purposes. I betcha the old timey shipbuilders had the same problem, wonder how they dealt with it.

JOAT My shop, my rules.

Reply to
J T

Don;t do it. A typical Marples or Greenlee paring chisel can last decades, even with daily, severe professional use, which means frequent and possibly non-optimal sharpenings. Grinding the back out of a perfectly decent chisel will stop its useful life at the business end wherever you locate this folly

Reply to
RM MS