put initals in wood

HI All, I want to put some small initials into a wooden knife handle, say 1/4 inch tall letters. I have no idea of how i can achieve this. My engraving skills are minus nill - so any ideas would be welcomed! cheers Dafydd

Reply to
dafyddw

These guys will laser engrave your knife handle with anything you want

The do names on pens for $ 5.00

Randy

randyswoodshoop

First, find the font you want to use, print it out and transfer it to the wood via carbon (transfer) paper or glue the paper directly to the wood (I used spray adhesive). You can then either carve them in with a VERY sharp carving knife (my preference) or burn them in with a wood burner.

Can post a picture of carved lettering on the binaries group if you'd like.

HTH Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've done as above, found a font I like and made a sample. I use photoshop, so I'm not as limited in the font or style or arrangement (probably not a big deal for something so small). Print the mirror image (choose "flip horizontal") on a laser printer (I have to run it through mine two or three times), then iron it onto your project to transfer the laser toner to the work. Then carve, burn, mark, etc. I've found outline fonts to work better for larger things, solid for smaller ones. Usually I do it after a couple coats of poly, carve the letters, stain and wipe (the stain won't stick to the poly), then finish coat with more poly.

I've been considering just putting more poly over the toner (maybe enhanced with a Sharpie pen), but not yet sure if that will hold up. That would be ideal (if it works) for something as small as you are doing.

David

dafyddw wrote:

Reply to
David

Not the most stylish or artistic way to do it, but is one option.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A jeweler's screwdriver and some light hammer taps might do the trick.

Tom - 2 Robatoy - 0

Reply to
Tom in NJ

I use this thingy once in a while... Not real pretty, but it does the job and can be filled with contrasting color to dress it up:

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

many thanks for all the suggestions. I shall have a look thorugh and try some of the ideas! very helpful!!! thanks David

Reply to
dafyddw

No problem, David.. Glad I did, because it made me remember that I had it!

I just finished a bowl that has the cracks filled with brass filings and decided that instead of having my wife burn "Mac" and an inventory number on the bottom, I stamped them in and filled them with brass, too..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mac, how do you get the brass filings to stick to the wood. Do you mix them with an adhesive? cheers David

Reply to
dafyddw

My 1st attempt was filings mixed with medium CA glue and stuffing the cracks with that, but I didn't like the kind of muddy look that I was getting after sanding it..

I went to slightly larger filings and just coated the cracks with thick CA and sprinkled the filings on like (as my wife said) making cinnamon toast, then lightly packing it to make sure it adhered, but not hard enough to force the CA to the top.. The last try seemed to work better for the look I wanted.. After sanding, it has sort of a "gold nugget" look.. smooth bowl with slightly pitted gold cracks..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You can get special "toner transfer paper" and foils that consolidate with the toner using heat (meant for laminators but a clothes iron will do). They'd probably be your best chance of success for direct printing. I use them to make printed circuit board prototypes.