Removing grout with the GROUT GRABBER sawsall blade

Have you used this tool called the Grout Grabber?

If you have, please tell me about your experience. I'm curious if it works effectively or is squirrelly and a waste of money.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

I asked a tile guy what to use. He said utility knife. It was slow but it worked. The grout knives at HD and Lowes are too thick.

Reply to
Art Begun

It will probably work but you'll have much better control with the Fien Multimaster with it's carbide grout blades. I noticed the other day that Dremel now has a grout removal attachment.

Boden

Darrell wrote:

Reply to
EL

I tried using the Dremel grout cutter bit in my rotary tool. It works great, until it breaks. And they cost $10 each at Lowes. I ran through several, before I gave up. I finally did it with a 4" dry cut diamond blade in my rotary saw. It cut the grout out real good, but you have to be really careful. The blade cuts tile as well as it does grout. If you try this you have to wear a dust mask and eye protection. It isn't something I would really recommend.

And of course no power tool will get right up to the edge. You wind up finishing up with some sort of manual cutter.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
George Myers

Looks like just the usual carbide-grit edge, except on a reciprocating saw instead of a hand tool handle.

There is no easy way to do this. Doing it by hand is tedious. Doing it with a power tool ruins the tile. Take your pick.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The fact that they specifically say it removes "sanded grout" shows that this is being sold by fools. The pictured installation shows the tool being used on what is almost certainly non-sanded grout. And one would expect that sanded vs non-sanded has nothing to do with the usage or performance. If anything, it would better (if it works at all) on non- sanded.

$40 for a piece of stamped sheet metal, and a small grit blade? Is this some infomercial gimmick?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Thanks to all who contributed, I think this is the first time every post was useful and informative. Needless to say, I'm not buying the gimmick! I like the idea of the diamond blade on my small grinder ... may be too powerful though? All I want to do is remove 1/64 ? 1/32 of an inch so the new grout will take.

I think I'll start with a utility knife and 100-pack of blades then go power if I can't endure. My first experience with Dremel stunk, wasted $50 on bits! Maybe I'll hire it done this time and watch a professional?

Darrell

Darrell

I found that whatever powered methods you try, it will work much better if thoroughly cooled, even flooded, with water. Abrasive bits, diamond types, etc., all last much longer that way.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I didn't like the long thin spiral saw that came with my Canadian Tire tool either (Dremel style but larger motor.) My application is making cutouts in plastic sheet. Went to a machine tools supply shop and bought a milling cutter bit. Costs under $10. Works like a charm.

Reply to
klm

I used a large hanging hook screwed into a hammer handle. I used my grinder to put a narrow digging point on the end and it worked beautifully. Use lots of muscle with it and you can degrout a shower in no time at all.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

Please give details. What is large hanging hook? Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom Dunn

PJ

Reply to