siding

Is it possible to side over Asbestos shingle? And if so what should I look for?

Reply to
Me

While not an expert I seem to recall seeing a home where they sided over another material using stickers, 1X2 or 2X2 every 16-24 inches.

Using an appropriate mask, I recommend you remove the shingle to the substrate. Then you could insulate underneath the siding and improve the energy efficiency. It wouldn't look retrofitted either.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

I was hoping to stay away from rip off of the existing asbestos shingle

Reply to
Me

While not an expert I seem to recall seeing a home where they sided over another material using stickers, 1X2 or 2X2 every 16-24 inches.

Using an appropriate mask, I recommend you remove the shingle to the substrate. Then you could insulate underneath the siding and improve the energy efficiency. It wouldn't look retrofitted either.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

Be careful if you want to remove the shingles. Someone in my area tried to do the same and within a few hours of starting his project local Code enforcement agents and Health Department were out to shut him down. Some states are very particular with the handling of Asbestos (Shingle or insulation).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Davis Jr

Typical panic for nothing.

If you do a search of this group, a few weeks ago the same thread appeared. There is a web page that the government has for siding information. IIRC, it is a simple job and no outlandish precaution had to be taken. Much different than handling the raw material or scraping off sprayed asbestos. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski