project on FWW site

I posted one of my projects on the fine woodworking site...

The photo of the overall chest was taken at the Northeastern Woodworkers Association's Woodworkers Showcase in Saratoga Springs last March.

Anyone else here put their stuff up on the FWW site? I'd be interested in the links.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Beautiful design. Beautiful execution !

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Been a member for a good while but wasn't even aware that you could do that. Thanks for the heads-up!

And, what a gorgeous piece of work.

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you! Just saw your comment on FWW site... thanks for that too! Did you give me a "Thumbs Up" too? ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks Neil!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Certainly more than deserving of one ...

Did now ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

John, that's beautiful. Did you hand cut them 'tails or is that the Leigh dovetail jig set up? Did you use BLO before you put on your film finish? I love the hand cut outs. I use them on all my pull-outs for kitchen cabs. They're just Baltic Birch pull-outs though.

RP

Reply to
RP

Thanks!

The dovetails were all hand cut... L-N dovetail saw.

Finish is dewaxed shellac, with pumice as a grain filler on the white oak, no BLO.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks! ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I did, John, despite seeing that little layout line in the picture of the through dovies. A few quick scrapes over that (before taking the picture) would have left you with a perfect score.

I don't think I've seen white oak and walnut together before, but it makes a really nice combo. Kudos.

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry,

There seems to be a significant divide over the scribe lines... some like them and some don't. Me, I like them as I'm used to seeing them on 18th century pieces (such as those I saw while working at Colonial Williamsburg) and those on original Shaker pieces (that I've seen at Shaker sites in NY and MA). Planing or scraping the scribe lines away seems to be a modern thing... or more cynically, a sign that the drawer didn't fit and needed significant "tuning." ;~)

Thanks for the Kudos!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Nice job! Those hand cut dovetails are sweet. I gave you a thumbs up!

I have most of my stuff on their site:

GarageWoodworks

on your web site and not the FWW site??

It might be interesting if folks here on the rec would mention it when they put things on FWW so we can all go take a look. The woodworking binaries on usenet have tapered off a lot with the loss of feeds for folks...

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

So, are you going to do some distressing on it, too? Hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, chains, gravel, paint, dirt. Realistic aging!

Jewelcome.

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't need to distress anything intentionally as stuff seems to get dinged up nearly instantly all by itself with nobody in the room. If I put it in a show it will positively getted dinged!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin