Preventing router tear-out on cedar

Any wisdom on preventing tear-out with cedar when making boxes using a jig? I tried painter's tape with limited success.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

Be more careful.

Seriously, you nee to provide way more details to get any reasonable answer.

Reply to
Leon

Are you talking finger-jointed or something else cut by jig? I've always found that using a fresh backer board works with any sort of wood with through cuts. Depending on the look you are going for, knife-scoring at the deepest point of the through-cut will minimize tearout (at the cost of a scored line showing up, of course)

Reply to
BenignBodger

Backup the area that you are coming out of with the cutting edge with a piece of wood clamped the to edge.

If routing a groove, use a down cut spiral.

While forming an edge, I had a large section blow out in the middle. I glued it back in, then raised the bit for the remaining cuts, then lowered the bit for a final cut, that way I would not ruin any other parts. I used sawdust as filler on the piece glued in. I also moved a little slower, but not too slow to burn the wood.

Tape does help.

Reply to
woodchucker